Asus Launches the New USB 3.0 HZ-1 Docking Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
I think docking station should only use one cable to the laptop, if that cable is enough to handle every thing needed, currently I think thunderbolt is the technology that can be standardized thought Intel will for sure ask AMD to license it if they want to make it as a standard on their laptops... also USB3 can be used as cheaper alternative to thunderbolt stations.. the positive with thunderbolt is that it can transfer the fully standard DisplayPort signal + PCIe data link also so it's a real uncompressed video signal + some other data room for other ports ( USB, Ethernet, external storage ) this will be perfect for those that want to use only their laptops/ultrabooks as their only system ( no desktop )...

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I work in IT and these are appealing to me, if they work well. We have execs who complain about their 4.5lb laptops so we can buy them ultrabooks and still have a docking station available for their office that will support multi-monitor setup. Lenovo also sells one of these USB 3.0 docking stations. Good to see some more options.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
expensive docking stations for the most part can be replaced by for the most part by getting a simple USB hub where you connect a mouse, keyboard and a few other items, then when you get home or to the office, you simply connect the sungle USB cable for the USB hub, then the monitor cable, then the power cable for the laptop. for most laptops this takes about 5-10 seconds to do and only cost about $5 to do

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
why have a mocking station where you are going to plug/unplug 3 things every time when you can get a docking station for just about any laptop for cheap (under $50)? This solution is for universal application, eliminating the need to have different docks for different users, or to add docking functionality where it lacks (cough, apple, cough).

Status
Not open for further replies.