Asus Launches the ROG RAIDR Express PCIe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

msahni

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hey...
Why is this PCIE 2.0 I thought with Haswell we were moving to PCIE 3.0 with a muh greater bandwidth and speeds....

Or did ASUS forget to launch this last year....

Cheers....

G

Asus has NOT launched the ROG RAIDR. If they had then someone, somewhere would have bought one and we would know the price. This product was suppose to be on the shelves 3 months ago. They have given no indication of then it will be available so how can they say the product has been launched? Its just taking too long....just tell us that the product will be available in stores in December or some time in 2014

osamabinrobot

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

because it cant saturate a pcie 2.0 pipe let alone a 3.0

Intel has only implemented PCIe 3.0 on their Sandybridge-E, Ivybridge, and Haswell microprocessors. All other implementations, including Intel's 6, 7, and 8 series chipsets remain at PCIe 2.0.

Since this SSD uses a 4x PCIe 2.0 connector it seems likely that users will want to connect it to the PCH to avoid a DMI bottleneck (which is itself just a derivative 4x PCIe 2.0 link between the CPU and PCH) while keeping PCIe 3.0 links on the CPU available for GPUs.

physical

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
If the product was launched, you could theoretically go into a store, observe it's price, pick it up, and purchase it.
This is not a launched product.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
it'd be nice to start seeing some pci-e ssd's (that go beyond sata3 speeds) that aren't outrageously priced. here's hoping this drive is affordable (<$1/GB), not holding my breath though.

sylvez

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Asus may need a better marketing team.. saying 'cool red led' doesn't make it cool.
The consumers KNOW it is cool, but once you mention it it sounds cheesy.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I'm very disappointed by this product. I was hoping Asus would bring us a fast and competetive native PCIe SSD. Instead we're stuck with a pair of SandForce SSD's on a PCIe card in RAID-0. What a let down. We're starting to see native PCIe SSD's in the OEM laptop market. Apple has implemented them in their most recent MacBook Air lineup. I was hoping we would start to see native PCIe SSD's in the high-end consumer market but it looks like we'll be stuck waiting until SATA Express.

hannibal

Distinguished

400-500$ would be guite good estimation if this is really cheap. But 500-600$ would be more like reality or even more... This product is so much more features than just a pcie SSD that they most propably ask some premium over it.
240 Gb PCIe cards are between 300-650$ in USA: http://ssds.findthebest.com/d/f/PCI-.-E

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
And a premium for the ASUS name ;P Alright, so a little out of my price range then, figures. Thanks for estimate and thoughts :D

Jakula

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013

It has been launched (at least here in Australia) it can be purchased from several retailers for $519AUD

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
hope there's going to be a bunch of early adopters purchasing these puppies. that way, in a year, it'll cost around $199 for 256 GB for the ROG RAIDR Express. by then, they'll probably have ROG RAIDR Express II. i'll then install windows 8.2 on it which will support DX 11.3. :p

mynith

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
That RAMdisk thing, seems kind of silly to me. My Linux machine has a feature called preload which does exactly that. And correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't know too too much about Windows, but isn't that what Superfetch does as well?

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Yeah I noticed it pop up on PCCG a few days ago: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=24452&zenid=a641e67bf7d192bce70828f8de319547

Ro0ster

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Fusion IO was listing their Enterprise class PCIe SSDs around $10k. I think Asus right now is probably looking to get this down in price before actually launching it. The Enterprise class didnt appear to function much differently from what we're seeing here. They have to get this under $1k for consumer purchasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS