Asus Launching 27-inch WQHD Display in September

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
I have 2 Apple Cinema Displays at that resolution and they're gorgeous. I would expect the Asus display to be the same or superior. This Asus' ability to pivot is a real winner too.

vpoko

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
[citation][nom]juanc[/nom]Quad HD? HD is 1920x1080.For gamers? 75Hz?[/citation]
Not defending this monitor, which isn't terribly impressive, but 1280x720 is also considered HD and this has 4x the resolution of that.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Quad HD.... its not even 2560x1600 whhich has been around for over 10 years.

With that kind of marketing, you could claim 1080p is "Quad HD" because its 4x the resolution of 480i...

This isn't for gamers, while I'm sure it will look great, a gamer would just buy two or three 120hz 1080p monitors.

so... it is the same as several other high end displays... but this one comes with a slightly better stand?
Seriously, I would rather get a higher end Dell or HP IPS display and then purchase an aftermarket stand for it to make it pivot. I mean, after you have spend that much money on the display, what is $100 for a better stand?

I want more high resolution displays! 1440 and 1600 don't cut it for screen real estate when editing HD footage. High end TVs are getting UHD this year, so why don't we get a major bump up in PC monitor resolutions? Also, if they could keep with the 16:10 ratio I would be even happier... but I know that is just wishful thinking.

halcyon

Splendid
I don't know, I also have the current highest level Dell ...their 30". While you'll never hear me complain, all that screen is nice, but unless you really need it for work, all that screen realestate is just luxury.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I won't buy anything Asus ever again, there support is horrible, and they are very rude. I already had one of there 3d monitors go bad after a few weeks of light use, and they wouldn't do an advanced RMA came with the monitor, I had to return it to newegg for a full refund. The monitor's are very cheaply built, ton's of bad reviews, I should have read them before I purchased it. Funny, how on websites they get great reviews with the specs and all, but then you read actual customer reviews and lots of negative reviews. Very bad experience. Never had a problem with dell monitors though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLk-b8_Eq-4

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I'm not sure why everyone is knocking this monitor when a price hasn't been announced yet. I have a Korean "Crossover" brand 27" WQHD Monitor and think it might be one of the best computer accessory purchases I have ever made.

IF Asus can get the pricetag even in the vicinity of the Korean WQHD displays so that the masses can finally get there hands on WQHD and see how amazing IPS and higher resolutions are, this can only be a good thing for everyone. We need more incentive for display and laptop manufacturers to push higher res displays. 1366x768 resolution needs to die a very fast death and that means more people need to be able to compare it to WQHD to see how hard is really sucks.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]so... it is the same as several other high end displays... but this one comes with a slightly better stand?Seriously, I would rather get a higher end Dell or HP IPS display and then purchase an aftermarket stand for it to make it pivot. I mean, after you have spend that much money on the display, what is $100 for a better stand?I want more high resolution displays! 1440 and 1600 don't cut it for screen real estate when editing HD footage. High end TVs are getting UHD this year, so why don't we get a major bump up in PC monitor resolutions? Also, if they could keep with the 16:10 ratio I would be even happier... but I know that is just wishful thinking.[/citation]
Actually no, this monitor had a new type of IPS panel, Super PLS, unlike those from HP or Dell. Dell doesn't have a all-in-one computer with a PLS display, but no standalone monitor.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]I won't buy anything Asus ever again, there support is horrible, and they are very rude. I already had one of there 3d monitors go bad after a few weeks of light use, and they wouldn't do an advanced RMA came with the monitor, I had to return it to newegg for a full refund. The monitor's are very cheaply built, ton's of bad reviews, I should have read them before I purchased it. Funny, how on websites they get great reviews with the specs and all, but then you read actual customer reviews and lots of negative reviews. Very bad experience. Never had a problem with dell monitors though.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLk-b8_Eq-4[/citation]
I don't live in the US but I've heard that ASUS support there is a nightmare. In my country is the complete opposite. Even though HP and Dell support are also very good they're not as good as the support from ASUS. I have that exact same monitor, fortunately mine is hot/dead/stuck pixel free and never had a problem with it. I did however had a problem with a monitor that had just one dead pixel from ASUS, and even though the warranty doesn't cover just one dead pixel two days later I was delivered to me a new monitor. All I had to do is pack the old one and give it to the person that delivered me the new monitor. Perhaps I was lucky. But I do work for a company that sells a lot of ASUS hardware. and when a problem arises they're very quick to resolve issues and I never had the impression that the person on the other end of the line giving support is a tech illiterate that is reading their answers from a a screen. I've also used support from other companies and the only one that really come close is HP and Dell. Apple also has a good support but nowhere near these three. Acer is on the other end of the spectrum in my country. To call their support awful is an understatement. Their tech support people is incompetent and when we do manage to get them to repair the product they take like forever to do it. Another technical support that is problematic is Sony Vaio, not because the service is bad, but because the company that does the repairs is several countries away. So when a product malfunctions out of warranty the shipping fees makes the costs prohibitive, it's more economically viable to buy a new one.

One thing is disappointing in ASUS. In the past on their top of the line monitors/laptops/... ASUS had a zero dead/stuck pixel policy, but now they dropped it and use the ISO 13406-2 Class II in all monitors like almost all other companies.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
If that LCD are price near against the Samsung 27" 1080p monitor than it will be nice. the 27" IPS from Dell are still priced high. Very much more than the regular 27

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
if this is sub 400$, ill be interested, but that resolution.... god would it suck to go to anything not 16:10

but i have a use for a monitor that can nativly go from wide to tall, without an after market stand.

[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]I won't buy anything Asus ever again, there support is horrible, and they are very rude. I already had one of there 3d monitors go bad after a few weeks of light use, and they wouldn't do an advanced RMA came with the monitor, I had to return it to newegg for a full refund. The monitor's are very cheaply built, ton's of bad reviews, I should have read them before I purchased it. Funny, how on websites they get great reviews with the specs and all, but then you read actual customer reviews and lots of negative reviews. Very bad experience. Never had a problem with dell monitors though.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLk-b8_Eq-4[/citation]
Sorry to hear that I have never had anything but great service from Asus. I have 3 27" Asus led/lcd's on my AMD/ATI Eyefinity rig and two more on my intel/Nvidia rig and one more that I use with my Asus laptop. I had to RMA one monitor over the years and Asus was fast very helpful and friendly in all aspects of the process.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]richboyliang[/nom]TV's are 120 Hz easy. why can't they stop making 60 hz monitors?[/citation]

probably because its harder to make the monitors high quality?
my brother has a 120hz lcd, and when he uses it at 120hz the delay is painful to see... granted with video and sound, its not noticeable, but when you have a mouse and can interact with it... its plain as day.

and unlike with crts, there is no express "you have to have it at least blaa hz" need.

Status
Not open for further replies.