ASUS led monitor vh238h built in speakers no sound

wutuneed8

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Hello, I have a new ASUS led monitor with built in speakers and they are not working. I have no sound from any source. I have tried to load the drivers every way and failed. AMD ATHLONllx4 630 processor,MSI KA78G MOTHER BRD,Realtek HD audio out,ATI radeon HD3200 graphics,win xp home SP3

wutuneed8

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

beefybish

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
Hey there.

How are you connecting from the Monitor to the PC?

Usually;
You will need a video cable (DVI or VGA)
But you will ALSO need a 3.5mm line in cable from the PC to the monitor to carry the sound. (these are small cables usually with green ends)

Unless you're using HDMI, in which case it transfers sound and video.

If you're using HDMI you'll need to go into the sound area of control panel and make sure the monitor is set as the default device

lws9485

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
I had the same problem. I did an online chat with Asus and the bottom line is that you must have Windows 8 to be able to load the drivers and use the speakers. I have Windows 7. Took the monitor back to the store, where the sales staff was totally clueless.

System08

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014

Go to the Control Panel/Hardware and Sound and finally the Sound panel. If you have HDMI Audio, there will be an icon for this. Set this as the default playback device and that should get you HDMI Audio.

jacoballen013

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone stumbles on it (it's the first link on Google)....You have to turn up the volume on the monitor itself (look for the speaker symbol above the buttons). Asus has the volume all the way down by default. Sometimes it's the simple things...

JPower96

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015

My volume was already up but I still have no sound.

jeremyby

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Not sure if this is still a live thread, but I'd to save some time for who might have similar problems.

I believe this is the problem when you connect to the monitor with HDMI/DVI, it will override line in sound input. I assume the line in will work when you connect video via VGA, but I haven't try and confirm it.

I found this successful fix: https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20130117190307616&board_id=13&model=MX239H&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

It is a reversible tweak in the firmware of MX239H and the user claims success. I am gonna try that on my MX259H.

Markonije

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
The problem is the drivers for the video card ....
I have the HD5450 with the old drivers worked through 3.5mm ...
With the new driver only works via AMD HDMI output ... though it transmits images via a DVI cable to DHMI converter ....
asus vx229h monitor...

Markonije

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
I have come to a situation that we said that AMD HDMI output occupied by some applications ...
The solution ...
I installed the latest drivers for AMD graphics ...
Then uninstall the AMD HDMI audio driver.
I installed an older version AMD HDMI audio manually specifying older drivers 7.12.0.7706 from 2012 years.
In order to keep functions of the Raltek high definition audio, I did the following:
enable stereo mix
the options selected by the stereo mix listen to this device
playback throught amd HDMI output
90 levels ... optional.
Now I have a particular strength for AMD HDMI output and home audio ....
I do not need a 3.5mm cable to monitor ..

Richard_165

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016

Richard_165

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
Answer by beefybish is exactly the right answer for me. I got a new ASUS 279 LED monitor and connected by HDMI. No sound until I read answer by beefybish. Actually I guess it has nothing to do with ASUS monitor? It's an HDMI thing. Anyway, thanks very much. Solved my problem immediately.

coolau

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
Hello, I have a new ASUS led monitor with built in speakers and they are not working. I have no sound from any source. I have tried to load the drivers every way and failed. AMD ATHLONllx4 630 processor,MSI KA78G MOTHER BRD,Realtek HD audio out,ATI radeon HD3200 graphics,win xp home SP3

Uninstall monitor driver, restart, then reinstall driver from Device Manager. It Nvidia High Definition Audio driver and it should be automatic through HDMI.