News Asus Lists Custom GeForce RTX 3060 12GB, RTX 3080 Ti GPUs

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I hope this news means Nvidia has finally come to their senses and decided to up the VRAM amount in Ampere cards. 8/10GB is sufficient today, but won't be in 6-12 months. Seeing 12GB in a 3060 is a positive sign, although it makes the 3060 Ti seem strangely under-spec now. Nvidia is creating another confusing lineup.

If Nvidia releases a 3070 with 16gb soon, then I'll stop looking for an AMD 6800. Hope the unavailability of GPUs gets solved in January.

PillowOfWinds

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
I think that the most common case where you'd need more than 8-10GB of VRAM is if you are gaming at 4K, so to me a 3060 (which will be closer to a 2070) with 12GB doesn't make a lot of sense.
Cyperpunk at 1440p ultrawide with RTX and every settings maxed out is around 8GB of VRAM (and that's just memory allocation, the actual usage could be lower).
In any case I think that 3080 should at least have 12-16GB of VRAM.

Trident1983

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
I think that the most common case where you'd need more than 8-10GB of VRAM is if you are gaming at 4K, so to me a 3060 (which will be closer to a 2070) with 12GB doesn't make a lot of sense.
Cyperpunk at 1440p ultrawide with RTX and every settings maxed out is around 8GB of VRAM (and that's just memory allocation, the actual usage could be lower).
In any case I think that 3080 should at least have 12-16GB of VRAM.
Did you ever use a quattro card with 48GB of vram to play this game 8k or 6k on an apple display? mmm.

Jul 16, 2020
8/10GB is sufficient today, but won't be in 6-12 months.
Really? What’s coming out in 6-12 months? You have to realize that the Xbox and PS5 only have 16GB of Total memory. Anything that the developers make for this gen of console will port and run just fine on 10GB cards.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I hope this news means Nvidia has finally come to their senses and decided to up the VRAM amount in Ampere cards. 8/10GB is sufficient today, but won't be in 6-12 months.
6-12 months? What's coming in 6-12 months? Nvidia has over 80% of the dGPU market, and has never sold a card with 12 or more GB of RAM for under $1000 (Titans, 2080Ti, 3090). The 3080Ti which is likely to have a $1000 MSRP isn't going to change that. What developer is going to cater to that market? A 12 GB 3060 doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since it doesn't have to GPU horsepower to game at 4k. However, the card is fast enough to benefit from more than 6GB, and I understand that's the configuration they need to maintain the same memory bus bandwidth and thus performance of the 6GB model, so that's what we end up with.

Nvidia's decision to slap introduce 12GB of GDDR6 memory on the GeForce RTX 3060 seems way overkill, considering that the higher-up models, such as the GeForce RTX 3070 and GeForce RTX 3080 perform admirably with their 8GB and 10GB configurations, respectively.
I agree that a 12GB 3060 seems overkill, especially if that pushes it up relatively close to the price of an 8GB 3060 Ti, which will probably be close to 25% faster, based on rumored core counts and memory bandwidth. On the other hand, a 6GB 3060 doesn't really seem like enough for a card that will probably be a little faster than a 2070. Even the existing 2060 super has 8GB of VRAM. 6GB might still be okay for targeting 1080p resolution in upcoming games, but 12GB will probably be more than what's necessary for targeting 1440p, and the card won't be nearly fast enough for 4K. I suppose we may be looking at an MSRP of around $300 for the 6GB model, but that would likely place the 12GB model around $350, and it seems like moving up to the 8GB 3060 Ti would make more sense at that point, assuming the real-world prices of these cards actually reflect their MSRPs at some point.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Every time I've had less VRAM than the consoles have in RAM, I've had issues with games. Had the issue with an Nvidia 6800 and then again with an AMD 7950. The new console generation always pushes up requirements for PC games given that most of our games are console ports. I remember when people used to say 2 or 4 GB was enough VRAM right around the launch of the PS3 and PS4. Now I'm reading that 8 GB is enough about the time the PS5 is launching.

No.

8 GB of VRAM was fine for the 10-series, but is wildly inappropriate for the 30-series. Developers are going to make use of more VRAM soon. Flight Simulator and some COD game won't be the only ones hogging VRAM for long. Every single jump in console generation specs pushes a corresponding jump in PC gaming requirements. There is no excuse for Nvidia to not increase VRAM compared to the nearly 5 year old 10-series.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I hope this news means Nvidia has finally come to their senses and decided to up the VRAM amount in Ampere cards. 8/10GB is sufficient today, but won't be in 6-12 months. Seeing 12GB in a 3060 is a positive sign, although it makes the 3060 Ti seem strangely under-spec now. Nvidia is creating another confusing lineup.

If Nvidia releases a 3070 with 16gb soon, then I'll stop looking for an AMD 6800. Hope the unavailability of GPUs gets solved in January.
Oh you sweet summer child. "Come to their senses". They were always in their senses. Their senses speak money, and this was the best way to increase profits. They do this every generation.

Remember that "price drop" from the 2080ti to the 3080? Well, what if I told you that you ate what they marketed? The 3080ti will be $1200. There was never a price drop. They just played PC gamers like idiots.

closs.sebastien

Honorable
Feb 9, 2018
Horizon Zero Dawn in 4k is eating almost all my 8gb of my rtx2070.
Same for Flight Simulator 2020 in 2500x1440.
So more than 8 gb is very welcome, unless we want to stay eternally stucked in FullHd.

Every time I've had less VRAM than the consoles have in RAM, I've had issues with games. Had the issue with an Nvidia 6800 and then again with an AMD 7950. The new console generation always pushes up requirements for PC games given that most of our games are console ports. I remember when people used to say 2 or 4 GB was enough VRAM right around the launch of the PS3 and PS4. Now I'm reading that 8 GB is enough about the time the PS5 is launching.

No.

8 GB of VRAM was fine for the 10-series, but is wildly inappropriate for the 30-series. Developers are going to make use of more VRAM soon. Flight Simulator and some COD game won't be the only ones hogging VRAM for long. Every single jump in console generation specs pushes a corresponding jump in PC gaming requirements. There is no excuse for Nvidia to not increase VRAM compared to the nearly 5 year old 10-series.

The base-model PS4 and Xbox One both had 8GB of shared memory when they came out. And now, over 7 years later, nearly all games still tend to get along well on just 4-6GB of VRAM while targeting similar or better resolutions and settings compared to those consoles. Sure, maybe if you are targeting native 4K at ultra settings, having less than 8GB would not provide an ideal experience in some games today, but that resolution is also far above and beyond what those consoles are capable of, and above what any PC hardware from that period would be capable of in recent titles.

Also worth noting, the increase in console memory this generation is quite low compared to what has historically been the case in prior generations. After 7 years, their RAM only doubled from 8GB to 16GB, and the Series S only has 10GB. By comparison, the Xbox 360 and PS3 only offered 512MB of total RAM, making for a 16X increase in memory when moving from that generation. And the PS2 and Xbox only had 36 and 64MB of total RAM, making for an 8-14X increase that time around. The focus seems to be on streaming assets more efficiently from fast storage now, and that will likely carry over to PCs as well.

Jim90

Distinguished
So,

--> Nvidia originally thought 10GB was enough for the 3080, that is, until serious and unexpected competition from AMD (no, not the VRAM !!).
--> We are still a long way from a saturation level of 10GB in today's games that would justify most folk to consider more VRAM.
--> There is a crucial difference between 'Allocated' VRAM (the figure shills and marketing want you to focus on) - and 'Actual use' VRAM.
--> The card's raw horsepower must match the game's VRAM usage to make the playing experience worthwhile - those ignorant to this find out too late with low fps and an unplayable game or (worse!) significant eye-candy compromise...
--> Only marketing would try to force excessive VRAM (with those 'Allocated' numbers) before horsepower.

In the end, yes, more VRAM, in general, is always 'desirable' - to a point - much like RAM, always try to make sure you're not wasting...too much...by having it never used, or under-horsepowered. The 3060's 12GB is particularly shocking in the amount of VRAM that will never, ever be used due to that required "lack of accompanying horsepower".

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Funny because none of my local retailers have RTX 3080 in stock and according to some they won't have any until at least end of January 2021.
On top of that the cheapest 3080 I could find is over $900.
I wonder how much the 3080Ti will cost.
Probably $1300 and will be out of stock the first 5 months after its release.

12gb ram on an enrty level gpu?

All that is doing is raising price for no reason as most ppl would benefit from more ram...would benefit more for ma more powerful gpu to begin with....

It is possible that they will also add more cuda cores like the GTX 1060 6b vs 1060 3gb

The real concern here is availability.
Low availability means higher price doesn't matter what msrp nvidia pull out of their rear end

The 3060's 12GB is particularly shocking in the amount of VRAM that will never, ever be used due to that required "lack of accompanying horsepower".

Do we know that Nvidia won't add more cuda cores to the 12gb version like they did with 1060 6gb?
Well i had an argument with someone about 4gb vram cards couple of years ago.
He insisted that for 1080p gaming 4gb is more than enough, period.

Last edited:

PillowOfWinds

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
Did you ever use a quattro card with 48GB of vram to play this game 8k or 6k on an apple display? mmm.

I don't understand what is your point.

Cyberpunk (like any other game) is not optimised for 6K or 8K, texture quality won't scale.
Quadro cards are not for gaming and Ampere is not powerful enough for 8K, despite NVIDIA is advertising the 3090 as an "8K GPU".
Maybe you can play Doom Eternal at 8K, LTT got 7FPS when playing Cyberpunk on a 3090:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1900&v=kK45BxjSLCs&feature=youtu.be

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU

"Seeing 12GB in a 3060 is a positive sign" No it really isn't. Its a sign people are not smart enough to read reviews and will buy the card with more VRAM at a high premium even know it will do nothing for them at 1080p or 1440p. This isn't a good 4K card so increases to the VRAM for the smaller textures will not do a thing for actual performance.

Funny because none of my local retailers have RTX 3080 in stock and according to some they won't have any until at least end of January 2021.
On top of that the cheapest 3080 I could find is over $900.
I wonder how much the 3080Ti will cost.
Probably $1300 and will be out of stock the first 5 months after its release.

It is possible that they will also add more cuda cores like the GTX 1060 6b vs 1060 3gb

The real concern here is availability.
Low availability means higher price doesn't matter what msrp nvidia pull out of their rear end

Do we know that Nvidia won't add more cuda cores to the 12gb version like they did with 1060 6gb?
Well i had an argument with someone about 4gb vram cards couple of years ago.
He insisted that for 1080p gaming 4gb is more than enough, period.

Honestly 4GB for 1080p still holds true albeit you may want 6GB for a few games but the penalty isn't very high. For 1440p you want 6-8GB. This was AMD's testing 4GB vs 8GB at 1440p. I think you can also extrapolate back down to 1080p to realize 4GB is fine for 1080p.

4gbv8gb.jpg

Vram usage:

Cyberpunk 2077
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/cyberpunk-2077-pc-graphics-perf-benchmark-review,4.html

Assassin's creed Odyssey
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/assassins-creed-odyssey-benchmark-performance-test/4.html

Shadow of the Tomb Raider
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pag...graphics-performance-benchmark-review,10.html

safe to say if you want to play games released after 2017 you must have 6GB or more even at 1080p
those are VRAM utilized not allocated

edit: a few more
Borderlands 3
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/borderlands-3-pc-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,4.html

Resident Evil 3
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pag...-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,4.html

Doom Eternal
https://tpucdn.com/review/doom-eternal-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/images/vram.png

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/doom_eternal-graphics_cpu-performance-comparison
VRAM isn't just about what settings you can run either: Look at the 1080p medium chart, near the bottom, and contrast that with the 1080p low chart. The RX 570 4GB is quite a bit faster than the 1060 6GB and GTX 970 at low settings, but ends up barely ahead of the 970 at medium settings. The R9 390 meanwhile goes from tying the GTX 1060 6GB, to trailing at 1080p ultra, and then ends up with a sizeable lead by 1440p and 4K ultra.

Red Dead Redemption 2
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pag...-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,4.html

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdragon
Dec 29, 2020
Asus spills the beans on two upcoming Nvidia Ampere-powered graphics card.

Asus Lists Custom GeForce RTX 3060 12GB, RTX 3080 Ti GPUs : Read more

Is the 12gb version a good card to put in your old gaming rig so you can get around to beating AAA single player games on your steam library in 4k on your living room 4k TV on the couch? You know the ones you bought but never got around to? Looking at the witcher series, metro series, and red dead redemption 2 mostly.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Is the 12gb version a good card to put in your old gaming rig so you can get around to beating AAA single player games on your steam library in 4k on your living room 4k TV on the couch? You know the ones you bought but never got around to? Looking at the witcher series, metro series, and red dead redemption 2 mostly.
Probably not. The 3060Ti is about the bare minimum you'll want for a system gaming primarily at 4k.

Just a general comment here that doubling the VRAM on every one of the RTX 30-series GPUs from the 3080 down isn't particularly difficult, and it gives Nvidia (and its partners) an easy way to increase pricing on each card. We'll have to see what happens, but RTX 3080 Ti with 20GB at $1000 is 43% more than the 3080 10GB, and will probably be about 5-10 percent faster at best (3090 is 10-15% faster). 3070 Ti with 16GB might end up at the same $700 (maybe $600-$700) asking price of the 3080, because MOAR RAM! But it will most likely be slower in the majority of games, unless you're running one of the rare games that actually needs more than 10GB. 3060 Ti ends up in an odd spot -- probably won't get a 16GB version, so you'll have 12GB 3060 models that have less memory bandwidth but more memory, and probably fewer GPU cores as well. If they cost $350-$400, I'd take the bandwidth and GPU cores of the 3060 Ti over more RAM capacity.

The big issue is going to be supply. Nvidia is still having difficulty keeping up with demand for Ampere GPUs. Is there enough GDDR6 and GDDR6X to go around for all the doubled VRAM models? GDDR6 is probably okay, but GDDR6X only comes from Micron, and 3080/3090 are the only GPUs that use it, so Nvidia needs to be very careful about how much memory it orders. Not enough and it can't do 3080, never mind 3080 Ti and 3090. Too much and it would have to make everything into a 3080 Ti/3090 to get rid of the excess. Actually, 3060 with 12GB of GDDR6X would be an interesting alternative. I don't know if the GA104/GA106 GPUs support GDDR6X, though. Would love to see a 12GB GDDR6X 192-bit bus card for around $300-$350, but that's probably a pipe dream.

Reactions: chickenballs