Asus M2A-VM Sound driver wont install under XP-SP2

primalminds

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
I just installed this motherboard, and i cannot get the sound drivers to install. When i install them either from the disk included, or the download from the website, i get the message "Install Realtek HD Audio Driver Failure !!!" Which as you can imagine is no help at all.

I cant install the drivers manually, right clicking on an INF File for "install" or clicking "update driver" in the device manger does nothing, literally, it's like i didn't even click on it.

I'm using Windows XP SP2 and there are no other sound devices or drivers installed.

Naturally without these drivers i cannot get sound. I tried submitting this question to ASUS tech support but the website sucks to bad i'm pretty sure the question didn't even get submitted. When i clicked submit it pop'd up a box that said "your question already submit" and then closed the window.... very helpfull.

Anyway, hoping one of you can help.

smelly_feet

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I have the same board. I hate it.
I found it very picky on the memory it accepts.
Is it only the audio drivers that give the problem? Did the chipset driver install ok? I had to manually install the chipset drivers. The cd driver would not install properly. If the other drivers were not installed yet, try installing the audio last.

primalminds

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
yeah, as far as the "InstAll" program reports, everything else installed correctly. Just Audio that wont go in.

When you say manually installed, what do you mean? Through the device manager?

primalminds

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
I went into the bios and disabled the audio. I was then able to install the driver. But when i re-enabled the audio in the bios, the system still did not recognize the device, and i am still unable to install the driver with it enabled.

JasonDeVore

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
You may have already resolved the issue, but I found a fix for the problem at the following location:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=146855

Once I DISABLED and then UNINSTALLED the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio under the System Devices in Device Manager, I was able to install the Realtek drivers.

There are some other suggestions at the URL noted above that might be of further assistance.

Hope this helps.