ASUS m2n-sli deluxe - updating bios

RomanoITConsult

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Hello - I just purchased a new version of this motherboard (ASUS m2n-sli deluxe) having a amd 3800 SC chip with OCZ 6400 1 Gig DDR2 RAM (qty 2) and XFX6800 XT 256 VRAM. This motherboard suffers from having to slow down the timing to improve the sound. The sound is terrible especially on playing games like quake 4. The voices seem lost like they are going to some other speaker. You can improve the sound by lowering the number of mixing. This will work for any application. Do not let it use 127 or more mixnig. Lower the number to 16 to 24. The BIOS upgrade is suppose to fix these timing issues, and permit a better performance for overclocking. I have tried all of the executables offered and all of them will not do the upgrade. The AWDFLASH permitted me to backup my bios, but not upgrade it. This scares me because when you read about this computer motherboard on the website, they claim that this has a special bios, and would not require a special boot floppy.

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=1160&l1=3&l2=101&l3=0

Under ASUS EZ Flash 2 .

Yet EVERY person is claiming to build this special boot floppy. Could someone tell me how to successfully upgrade my bios. I have read other people's reply's and the only advice is to just leave it. I don't feel after spending all of this money I should have to be stuck with a limping motherboard with terrible sound. I purchased an ASUS because I was told that this is one of the best ones. I bought an AM2 to be in the higher end of motherboards. Also the specs for sound were amazing, and I would really like to enjoy this aspect of the unit. I also want to begin overclocking this unit instead of slowing down the internal speed. Thank you very much for reading this, and I hope that I shared what I have learned to help others too. Have a wonderful day - Ralph

Hello - I just purchased a new version of this motherboard (ASUS m2n-sli deluxe) having a amd 3800 SC chip with OCZ 6400 1 Gig DDR2 RAM (qty 2) and XFX6800 XT 256 VRAM. This motherboard suffers from having to slow down the timing to improve the sound. The sound is terrible especially on playing games like quake 4. The voices seem lost like they are going to some other speaker. You can improve the sound by lowering the number of mixing. This will work for any application. Do not let it use 127 or more mixnig. Lower the number to 16 to 24. The BIOS upgrade is suppose to fix these timing issues, and permit a better performance for overclocking. I have tried all of the executables offered and all of them will not do the upgrade. The AWDFLASH permitted me to backup my bios, but not upgrade it. This scares me because when you read about this computer motherboard on the website, they claim that this has a special bios, and would not require a special boot floppy.

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=1160&l1=3&l2=101&l3=0

Under ASUS EZ Flash 2 .

Yet EVERY person is claiming to build this special boot floppy. Could someone tell me how to successfully upgrade my bios. I have read other people's reply's and the only advice is to just leave it. I don't feel after spending all of this money I should have to be stuck with a limping motherboard with terrible sound. I purchased an ASUS because I was told that this is one of the best ones. I bought an AM2 to be in the higher end of motherboards. Also the specs for sound were amazing, and I would really like to enjoy this aspect of the unit. I also want to begin overclocking this unit instead of slowing down the internal speed. Thank you very much for reading this, and I hope that I shared what I have learned to help others too. Have a wonderful day - Ralph

Download the correct BIOS update to you desktop. Open ASUS update tool and flash the BIOS from your desktop. Otherwise use EZ Flash. Instructions are in your MB manual.

RomanoITConsult

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Hello - The BIOS does not function correctly. It always (all of them to my knowledge do this) freeze and refuses to read the a: drive and to read the c: drive. It does not function to save it or to load down the correct version. LOL - And after spending days loading down all of the correct drivers (ASUS site was have real issues) and correct applying them.

Thank you to mpilchfamily and badge to helping me with my problem. I honestly am glad to hear from others. I was honestly hoping that someone would be able to give me the answer that would fix this motherboard to work correctly.

Have a wonderful day - Ralph

Hello - The BIOS does not function correctly. It always (all of them to my knowledge do this) freeze and refuses to read the a: drive and to read the c: drive. It does not function to save it or to load down the correct version. LOL - And after spending days loading down all of the correct drivers (ASUS site was have real issues) and correct applying them.

Thank you to mpilchfamily and badge to helping me with my problem. I honestly am glad to hear from others. I was honestly hoping that someone would be able to give me the answer that would fix this motherboard to work correctly.

Have a wonderful day - Ralph

Do you have the ASUS Update tool installed? Click>Start>All Programs>ASUS>ASUS Update. Just open the tool and seclect, update bios from designated file location. First you must have the correct BIOS loaded to your desktop. You don't seem to be able to accomplish this.

RomanoITConsult

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Badge - You are the "Man". Apparently, ASUS documentation is not terribly descriptive. ASUS has 2 motherboards that are very similar in names. When you go out to the web site, they do not list out the names in order. I was grabbing the wrong ones. I know, I know - Alphabetic order is VERY DIFFICULT. Also, the BIOS updating utility while in the bios does not function. Badge - You were correct. When I started looking for the utility, I realized that it was not available for the other wrong one (the one I was using), just the MB I had. The correct drivers are now loaded and the bios is now updated. The sound is good, but not as good I as I thought that it would be. You are correct, I will need to buy some sound card. I honestly think that any $30-$60 card will do a much better job.

Next problem. I still can not run the memory at the rate it should be ran at. I am still stuck using the 0CZ 1 Gig Sticks (2 of them) at 800 Mz RAM running at 400 Mz. I can honestly tell you that when I run quake 4, the game gets hung up. Even at 533 Mz it hangs up and freezes. Do you think this is tied to the sound, directx 9.0, quake 4 or is this some faulty MB issue?

Thank you all VERY MUCH for being supportive - Have a wonderful day, Ralph

Badge - You are the "Man". Apparently, ASUS documentation is not terribly descriptive. ASUS has 2 motherboards that are very similar in names. When you go out to the web site, they do not list out the names in order. I was grabbing the wrong ones. I know, I know - Alphabetic order is VERY DIFFICULT. Also, the BIOS updating utility while in the bios does not function. Badge - You were correct. When I started looking for the utility, I realized that it was not available for the other wrong one (the one I was using), just the MB I had. The correct drivers are now loaded and the bios is now updated. The sound is good, but not as good I as I thought that it would be. You are correct, I will need to buy some sound card. I honestly think that any $30-$60 card will do a much better job.

Next problem. I still can not run the memory at the rate it should be ran at. I am still stuck using the 0CZ 1 Gig Sticks (2 of them) at 800 Mz RAM running at 400 Mz. I can honestly tell you that when I run quake 4, the game gets hung up. Even at 533 Mz it hangs up and freezes. Do you think this is tied to the sound, directx 9.0, quake 4 or is this some faulty MB issue?

Thank you all VERY MUCH for being supportive - Have a wonderful day, Ralph

You should see the chick who taught me :D