asus m2n4-sli bios beep codes ANYONE HAVE

spazticdeath

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
A good friend of mine has the asus m2n4-sli, and the thing wont start up now....it gives him the following beeps on startup:

1 long beep
2 short beeps

we've tried to locate this on the asus website but have yet to find the bios code manual for this board....anyone want to help out?

thanks in advance

:fou:

krillz

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
spazticdeath, a quick look in the manual that came with your mobo would have answered your question. Right under the First start up chapter you can see a box with all the beep combinations and their meanings that the mobo can produce.

spazticdeath

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
no acutaly in the manual it does not have the answer...as its an unofficial thing.,....

the video card adapater is the error......but not listed in the book...

WazzaUK

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
BIOS Post beep errors are standard..............

Steady, short beeps Power supply may be bad
Long continuous beep tone Power supply bad or not plugged into motherboard correctly
Steady, long beeps Power supply bad
No beep Power supply bad, system not plugged in, or power not turned on
No beep If everything seems to be functioning correctly there may be a problem with the 'beeper' itself.
One long, two short beeps Video card failure
1 short beep - Normal POST - system is OK
2 short beeps - POST error - error code shown on screen
No beep - Power supply, system board problem, or disconnected speaker
Continuous beep - Power supply, system board, or keyboard problem
Repeating short beeps - Power supply or system board problem or keyboard
1 long, 1 short beep - System board problem
1 long, 2 short beeps - Display adapter problem (MDA, CGA)
1 long, 3 short beeps - Enhanced Graphics Adapter (EGA)

etc... etc.....

spazticdeath

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
problem is this...the board only had the cpu in it, the memory, vid card and all hard drives and cd roms/dvd were taken off the board....

And it gave the 1 long beep and 2 short beep error....which leads me to believe that the actual video adaptor on the board is bad....

G

***NEW INFORMATION***

My Asus M2N4-SLI board had this same issue, but gave false beep codes. It gave the same codes as this (indicating a video adapter problem). After troubleshooting the video adapter and PCI-X slots for 2 days, I finally decided to take out the RAM. I found 2 bad sticks. Removed bad RAM, plugged everything back in, including the pre-existing video adapter, and wham-bam, I'm back in action.

**Moral: Check RAM in addition to video adapter. It saved me giving Nvidia another $200 for a new video card.

Thanks for the posts.

Later,

The General

talon1812

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
I too, had an issue with an Asus M3n78-Pro Motherboard. I built a new computer and shortly after I built it-within a couple of weeks, it started this 1 long beep with 2 short beeps business. I scoured the internet looking for a solution and EVERYWHERE I looked-everyone was saying that it indicates a Video Card Problem. After several months of NOT being able to use my new quad-core computer, I finally wrote directly to ASUS tech support. They replied back, indicating it was a MEMORY problem, NOT a video card issue. I followed their suggestion and removed ALL the memory. GUESS WHAT-the computer booted. Before that-I got NOTHING, just a blank, black screen. With NO moemory in the motherboard-I could access the BIOS.
After trying all 4 memory sticks, I wound up with 2 bad sticks. G-Skill brand that I bought from NewEgg. Fortunately, I was able to exchange the defective sticks. The computer worked fine with the 2 sticks, but worked even BETTER after I got the replacement sticks of 2 2GB chips. Now, it's flying with 8 GB of memory. Another issue I had with beeps was for the last 2 years, I was getting 3 very short, fast beeps. The other night, my power supply finally went out. Computer would start and stay on for only a few minutes, then just shut off. After replacing the power supply, it no longer gave me the 3 short, fast beeps.
These were DIFFERENT though, than the 1 long, 2 short beeps. They were all 3 very short, fast beep, beep, beep.

1 long...2 short......BAD MEMORY CHIPS
3 short, fast...........BAD POWER SUPPLY