Question Asus M3A motherboard with AMD Phenom X4 9750 @ 70degC!!!

Nov 17, 2021
Hi,

After upgrading the CPU of my Windows 10 HTPC with an Asus M3A motherboard to an AMD Phenom X4 9750, I noticed that the CPU temperatures were consistently running at 70degC. The frequency is a consistent 2.40GHz and the CPU cooling fan is running at 2350rpm while the system is just sitting there at idle.

Checked the Processor Power Management settings and noticed that the Max/Min Processor State settings are MIA. Also found that Virtualization is turned on - somewhere!?

Any thoughts or ideas how I can get the CPU to take it's foot off the gas, calm down and get these temperatures under control?

Thanks,
Jason

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Please mention the BIOS version you're on at the time of writing as well as the version(not edition) of the OS. If you're using the onboard HDMI port, please mention the display panel used. On another note, system's that are a decade or so old that are made to run Windows 10, tend to run hotter since Microsoft decided to stop support(optimizing) for older platforms. It's why I had to stop a build path with a 2nd generation i3 for a friend of mine for his work-from-home rig.

Hi,

After upgrading the CPU of my Windows 10 HTPC with an Asus M3A motherboard to an AMD Phenom X4 9750, I noticed that the CPU temperatures were consistently running at 70degC. The frequency is a consistent 2.40GHz and the CPU cooling fan is running at 2350rpm while the system is just sitting there at idle.

Checked the Processor Power Management settings and noticed that the Max/Min Processor State settings are MIA. Also found that Virtualization is turned on - somewhere!?

Any thoughts or ideas how I can get the CPU to take it's foot off the gas, calm down and get these temperatures under control?

Thanks,
Jason
It's naturally hot processor but not all programs report it accurately,Use https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-overdrive-download.html which CPU cooler ?
Virtualization setting is in BIOS
If CPU frequency is set to manual, CPU Min/Max will not work

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Please mention the BIOS version you're on at the time of writing as well as the version(not edition) of the OS. If you're using the onboard HDMI port, please mention the display panel used. On another note, system's that are a decade or so old that are made to run Windows 10, tend to run hotter since Microsoft decided to stop support(optimizing) for older platforms. It's why I had to stop a build path with a 2nd generation i3 for a friend of mine for his work-from-home rig.

Lutfij,

Sorry about that, still kind of new in these parts. To clarify:

Motherboard: Asus M3A
System BIOS: 1206
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9750 2.4 GHz
Cooler: Masscool 5W1081F1M3 (with replacement fan)
Ram: 4GB Corsair XMS DDR2
SSD/HDD: 128GB SSD SanDisk, WDC 1.5TB HDD
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6450
Display: Sony Bravia KDL-40R550C
PSU: OCZ-ZT550W
Chassis: Zalman Z9Plus
O/S - Windows 10 Pro 64bit 20H2

This CPU / cooler came from an Asus M4A motherboard where it throttled normally.
The previous CPU in this system was an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ and it seemed to behave normally.

Nov 17, 2021
It's naturally hot processor but not all programs report it accurately,Use https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-overdrive-download.html which CPU cooler ?
Virtualization setting is in BIOS
If CPU frequency is set to manual, CPU Min/Max will not work

CountMike,

Thanks for your reply. I've added system details as requested in previous post. The BIOS config is set to default, and although I've been through the settings a few times I have yet to find the virtualization setting?!

AMD Overdrive now installed. Not sure how to insert a screenshot here.

Nov 17, 2021
That's the weird part. This CPU / cooler combo was fine (variable clock speed, normal temps) on the M4A motherboard, but since it's been moved to the M3A motherboard it runs flat out and hotter. As per AMD OverDrive, the 6 core CPU with the same cooler that's now in the M4A is only registering 40degC under load with the speed throttling.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021
The high CPU temperature was the first clue that something was off. Besides what's outlined above, in the Power Management app of Windows, the only CPU related setting is fan control, the Max/Min speed feature is missing.

Nov 17, 2021
The BIOS settings for the M3A/9750 system are set to default (except for BIOS controlled CPU cooling: Smart Q-Fan - Enabled and set for Optimal). AI Overclocking set to Auto causes the CPU to run at full speed at all times, while selecting Standard or Manual fixes the speed at some other value.

Any ideas how to set the BIOS to activate dynamic CPU speed based on workload?

Nov 17, 2021
Did some digging since my last post and have discovered that enabling the "C1E Support" in the BIOS activates the Min and Max Processor State options in Windows. Seems to have some impact on processor speed, but it's not as dynamic as it is on the M4A motherboard.

Nov 17, 2021
OK, further findings regarding CPU temps with system idle:
41degC with C1E enabled
46degC with C1E disabled
60degC with C1E disabled and boost ON

Removed CPU cooler and found that I had gone too light on the heat sink compound. Only about 75% of the CPU face showed signs of contact with the cooler.

Installed a copper faced heat pipe cooler with a fixed speed fan and a more appropriate amount of thermal compound, and now CPU temps with the system idle are:
41degC with C1E enabled
42degC with C1E enabled and boost ON

Thanks for your input, and patience.

Last edited: