utility57

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
currently i have

primary WDC WD1600AAJS-22PSA0

secondary WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0

my hard drives are the lowest performing hard ware in my system, the hard drives are a lil older then the other parts, naturally, and i cant find a lot of upgrade info for my hard drive(s).
i am not sure if i would purchase a sata 3, if it would work, and i cant remember if i would have to purchase a new windows cd, i don't think i would have to purchase a new cd, if i am only upgrading the hard drive?? i believe i have to purchase a sata II type hard drive WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0

Solution
SATA Revision 3 drives are backwards compatible with SATA revision 2 ports, so take your pick.

You won't have to purchase a new copy of Windows if you already have a genuine retail copy, but after installation, online activation may not be accepted in which case you'll have to call Microsoft using the phone number that should appear on your monitor. It all depends how many other hardware upgrades you've done since the last activation.

If no hardware upgrades have been done except for this one, online activation should be accepted.
SATA Revision 3 drives are backwards compatible with SATA revision 2 ports, so take your pick.

You won't have to purchase a new copy of Windows if you already have a genuine retail copy, but after installation, online activation may not be accepted in which case you'll have to call Microsoft using the phone number that should appear on your monitor. It all depends how many other hardware upgrades you've done since the last activation.

If no hardware upgrades have been done except for this one, online activation should be accepted.

Solution