Asus M4 Motherboards Do AMD Phenom II X6

Status
Not open for further replies.

icerock

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
yeah, with the core unlocker it's easy to unlock latent cores, but it depends on the cpu if the unlocked cores are stable or not ... so the performance boost is not guaranteed.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
This is good news for ASUS owners. Let's hope other manufacturers follow suit.

From that lineup, it would appear Thuban's are fully capable of being dropped into existing AM3, as well as AM2+ motherboards, provided they have the 790GX/FX and SB750 chipsets. Though, I see no mention specifically of the 790X Northbridge, as found in the M4A79XTD EVO.

dco

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
wow if those price predictions are true that's insanely cheap, they're really putting up some hard competition for intel.

G

Oooh AMD every cycle I think im going to go back to using an Intel chip, bam theres another great deal. Ill have to see if Intel will have a similarly priced 6 core in the fall when I upgrade, but if not AMD prob will get another system out of me.

I cant afford to spend more then $300 on a cpu; and I do a lot of rendering, so extra cores do provide a noticeable benefit. That 3.2 6 core to replace my old 4 core 2.6, sounds dreamy.

I wonder if it can OC on air to 4ghz stable.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Could you clarify if the prices you stated are expected MSRP or are they tray prices?

I haven't purchased a quad core yet, and six 2.8 GHz cores might be worth while for video editing... but $$$ is a factor (just don't have $800 to build an i7 system right now).

naterandrews

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
What is most impressive about the 6 core Thuban's is the TDP! 125w @ 6 cores while my quad core 965 runs at the same! AMD is doing a great job at manufacturing.

eshaw380

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I just bought a Pii 965 a few months ago, and it rocks! But a Thuban for $300 is just to much insanity to wrap my head around...I think I need to take my pills...And im glad they are including us AM2+ owners. I love my board and dont see any benefit of going AM3 yet, I mean come on I already have 8gb ddr2.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Wow! I mean, we all know that Intel's Core i7 is in a league of it's own, but a 6 core Phenom Black Edition at 3.2 Ghz for 295$ is the definition of value for money!

If I were to build a computer in the next two months I would certainly look into this. I mean, sure, Core i5 750 is all good and the i7's too, but this looks so good you almost don't have to think much. Unless there is some unforseen caveat, if we can extrapolate from the Phenom II X4 955 architecture, like I said, this will be value for money!

john5246

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Wow now i'll be able to check my email without any lag :)

I have no idea what I'm going to do with a 6-core processor!

Software really needs to catch up (I guess visually with the GUI) to take advantage of people who have fast processors and newer GPU's. It should be a feature on every software program that you can turn off if you have an older computer...like Windows Aero

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]2.8 ghz phenom II x6 for 199$????? F me sideways[/citation]

This.

If you look at how AMD has done business in the past, it's never really been about offering the fastest CPU. However, AMD has always been a "value" solution. This has been the case since the AMD 486 DX-4 133; a CPU that was proven faster than the first Intel Pentiums. Some might not be old enough to remember the battle between Intel, AMD and Cyrix back in the 486 through Pentium II days.

For the record, I'm not a loyalist toward AMD or Intel. I look at price vs. performance. Right now, AMD still has that covered. If they can offer a 6 core CPU for 200 bucks, I'm all in. I should also mention that I do number crunching for the WCG, so cores DO matter.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I've had various Intel systems for about 10 years now, but looking at the price, it is hard to justify anything other than AMDs 6 core CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.