Asus M4a78 Plus want to upgrade video card gtx 590

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tangji

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Hello,
I was wondering if my Asus M4a78 plus motherboard is compatible with the graphics card ge force gtx 590? Im new to upgrading stuff decided want to give it a try. I have the cooler masters 600w. Giving the research I did I think I need to upgrade my power supplies to 750w + any suggestions on which power supplies is good? The main concern about it is the motherboard. Do I need to upgrade my motherboard to get the full access ability of the gtx 590 video card?

andrewcarr

Distinguished
If it is a repeated problem it could be a bad card, unfortunately it happens sometimes. But I have had to do RMA's before and they aren't too bad. I would check your system temperatures to make sure parts aren't getting too hot, just as an idea.

tangji

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
I left it on the whole night till now still seems ok now. The temperature of the graphic card is stable at 53c to 54c is that normal? If I install the new graphic card radeon 7970 would the temperature raises or the cooling unit that built into that card is enough? Question is do I need to buy more cooling unit to support my system at the moment?

I try to check the cpu temperature using the cpu-z program but it doesnt show. Is there a way to check the CPU temperature?

tangji

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
I also try to reformat my c drive because only that drive have all the drivers for all the devices so I think my other drives should be ok. But It wont let me reformat it. Do i have to install the ssd drive along with window 7 first before I can reformat my computer?

andrewcarr

Distinguished
I use core temp to monitor my CPU temperatures.
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Which graphics card is stable at 53c? Do you have the 7970 installed at the moment? By the way that is a great temperature, they can handle up to about 90c. What do you mean reformat? Didn't you install a fresh copy of windows 7 already?

tangji

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
yea sir I installed the window 7 into the ssd drive that I just mounted. I didnt reformat the c drive. The c drive is where I put all my crap window vista, all the drivers for all kinds of devices etc. But it seems window 7 already has all the driver for all my devices except for the network card. I cant get into the internet at the moment after I finish upgrading the window 7 into my ssd drive. I still figuring out what is going on? :sweat: Is the wireless-g 2.4 ghz 54g pci adapter. I dont know if it doesnt have the driver or what. I tried to go to the main site to download the driver with this computer and transfer the files to the upgraded computer but it still not working.

andrewcarr

Distinguished
You don't have a wired connection to test it short term? Do you mind posting the wireless card you have.

If you do have to replace it you could get this one which is very good for $28 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320074 ). I never thought you would have a wireless card. I guess I just don't think of it unless I'm using a laptop. I would have warned you about upgrading windows trying to make more money makes certain drivers incompatible. http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/583-pc-fail-fx-itanium.html look at the second image.

tangji

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
well here's the weird thing. I boot with my c drive to get back into window vista with all my old drivers. The internet works. Only when Iam using window 7 is not working. Im trying to see if i can find the files or drivers to get my wireless adapter to send the signal out so i can detect my router.

tangji

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Yea Loving that SSD Drive boot the window in like 30 sec compare to my harddrive 1 min 30 sec. Big Difference yeaaaa. Was fun trying to figuring all the things out with help of course :wahoo:

tangji

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
yea but i reformatted the hard drive. So that drive went blank. Everything seems to run fine but my computer just turn off by itself again like last time. This time I was trying to install some driver for xbox 360 to make the controller work on the pc. Then all of sudden the pc shut off While i was running a game call tera online. I mean i was running the game fine earlier. Dont know what happen I tried to turn i back on but it wont let me. The green light on the mother board is solid green. So it has power but it wont let me turn the pc on. Man this is frustrating.

tangji

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Hm well I unplug then replug the pwr sw 2pin small cable and I unplug the 2 pin wires for the reset button and It somehow let me power up. Hopefully that will fix the issue. Lost my instruction book the only small cables that are some color are the reset button so dont know which is negative and which is positive. Maybe that was causing my computer to turn off out of nowhere. shrug*