ASUS M4A87TD Evo memory upgrade

demo360

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015
I just tried upgrading my ram from 4 x 2GB sticks of
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-12800cl9d-4gbrl
to this 8GB kit https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-12800cl9d-8gbrl
but my pc blue screened to each of the sticks, the errors were
"attempted execute of noexecute memory" and "kmode exception not handled".
I was hoping to buy a second 8GB kit later to upgrade to 16GB of ram.
My question is, is the ram bad or does my motherboard just not like it?

Windows 10
AMD Phenom (II) x4 965
Gigabyte GTX 1050 2GB
4x2GB g.skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
Asus M4A87TD Evo motherboard
Corsair TX 650 power supply

Solution
Ok, this is most probably, not certainly, but probably, a memory error.

First, go into the bios and make sure that the memory settings all match the following:

Tested Latency 9-9-9-24-2N
Tested Voltage 1.50v
SPD Speed 1600MHz
SPD Voltage 1.50v

If not, change the settings manually to match those specifications.

If yes, try going into the bios and increasing the DRAM voltage in small increments, however small it will allow you to increase by, saving and trying to boot in between increases. I would not go past 1.6v total. In fact, increasing as much as only .005v can make a difference between stability and instability, so I'd only increase in very small amounts.

If you cannot achieve stability even at 1.6v, I'd RMA...

demo360

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015

Updated the opening post for specs, no I haven't tried resetting the bios, I can try that tomorrow.

demo360

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015

The bluescreens were happening while booting into windows, and my CPU is not overclocked.

Resetting the BIOS seemed like it was about to work, I managed to get into windows and make it to this thread to try and say it worked but then my PC restarted without warning, and then I was getting different bluescreen errors. "irq not less or equal" and I cant quite remember the other one I think it had the word "Exception" in it.

Ok, this is most probably, not certainly, but probably, a memory error.

First, go into the bios and make sure that the memory settings all match the following:

Tested Latency 9-9-9-24-2N
Tested Voltage 1.50v
SPD Speed 1600MHz
SPD Voltage 1.50v

If not, change the settings manually to match those specifications.

If yes, try going into the bios and increasing the DRAM voltage in small increments, however small it will allow you to increase by, saving and trying to boot in between increases. I would not go past 1.6v total. In fact, increasing as much as only .005v can make a difference between stability and instability, so I'd only increase in very small amounts.

If you cannot achieve stability even at 1.6v, I'd RMA the RAM.

Solution