Asus M515UA-NS77 laptop overheats at 15% CPU capacity!

hooflungdung

Honorable
Oct 1, 2015
This laptop has a 5700u processor and onboard graphics. The cooling is obviously a joke. I set the fan to "performance" mode. Shutdown at 15% (working 4 of 16 threads reasonably hard). BE WARNED. I am very unhappy.

It is certainly fast up to the 15% mark. I guess I'll return the POS. I could buy a cooling pad, but I question how much improvement I will get and a cooling pad obviously makes my laptop much less portable.

Also Newegg has not posted my review of this product after 3 days. I'm thinking Newegg can't be trusted.

lvt

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
The laptop's shutdown is based on temperature (could be CPU temp or GPU temp), not percentage, you can go 100% for as long as the CPU and GPU don't reach the max temperature.

So there might be a problem with the laptop's cooling device, could be a faulty fan, blocked fan duct or the heat-sink not pasted properly.

Last edited:

hooflungdung

Honorable
Oct 1, 2015
I used NZXTcam while running my stress test (optical character recognition) and it shows the CPU being worked at 14-15% during my test. The CPU temp goes from 50 to 90 C in 25 seconds. Shutdown occurs around 93 deg. I'd post a picture of the results but I can't figure out how.

I have considered defect possibilities. The fan works, although it seems a better fan policy would be to adjust the fan speed based on CPU load to get a head start on the inevitable temperature increase.

The fan case appears to have a few vents blocked, which I thought might be a molding defect. I tried to push out the material on a few blocked vents, but the material is fairly strong so I concluded this is intentional. There is no evidence of thin flash in any vents and the vents which are blocked are not the primary cooling vents. One disadvantage of a plastic case is that the case does not act as a heat sink like an aluminum case does.

Possibly the assembly person forgot the thermal paste?

The price of this $650 laptop has increased $100 in the week since I received it.

Note to self: Run stress test before investing time in setup.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS