Question ASUS M5A78L LE won’t post/no display

Jan 28, 2023
Recently purchased an Asus m5a78l le to replace an am3 motherboard for an amd fx cpu. Unfortunately, after assembling the pc it wouldn’t post. I assumed it was because I tried to use hdmi, however it still wouldn’t post after trying both vga and dvi on two different gpus. I moved on to check the ram by checking the seating, switching channels, using only stick, and repeating that process with a different set of ram. Still nothing. I went on to reset CMOS, but still couldn’t get the computer to post. I stripped the computer to the essentials and got the same result. I’ve tried flash booting which didn’t work, but to be fair I’m not certain I did it right. I can’t find much information about the LE online but I have heard that the m5a78l’s won’t boot without a keyboard. I’ve tried two different usb keyboards, however I wonder if I need to use a ps/2 board (which I don’t have). Other than that, the only diagnosis I can come with is that either the IO is dead or the pci slot is. Hopefully someone here knows more than me. Here’s my components for those interested:

•CPU: AMD FX-8300
•GPU: Radeon R9 390
•RAM: TEAMGROUP 16gb (8x2) DDR3 1600MHz
•PSU: ARESGAME 650w 80+ Bronze
•CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
•HDD: WD Blue 4TB

Recently purchased an Asus m5a78l le to replace an am3 motherboard for an amd fx cpu. Unfortunately, after assembling the pc it wouldn’t post. I assumed it was because I tried to use hdmi, however it still wouldn’t post after trying both vga and dvi on two different gpus. I moved on to check the ram by checking the seating, switching channels, using only stick, and repeating that process with a different set of ram. Still nothing. I went on to reset CMOS, but still couldn’t get the computer to post. I stripped the computer to the essentials and got the same result. I’ve tried flash booting which didn’t work, but to be fair I’m not certain I did it right. I can’t find much information about the LE online but I have heard that the m5a78l’s won’t boot without a keyboard. I’ve tried two different usb keyboards, however I wonder if I need to use a ps/2 board (which I don’t have). Other than that, the only diagnosis I can come with is that either the IO is dead or the pci slot is. Hopefully someone here knows more than me. Here’s my components for those interested:

•CPU: AMD FX-8300
•GPU: Radeon R9 390
•RAM: TEAMGROUP 16gb (8x2) DDR3 1600MHz
•PSU: ARESGAME 650w 80+ Bronze
•CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
•HDD: WD Blue 4TB
I'm fairly certain the mobo needs a bios update to support your CPU in which case you need a CPU that's supported to update the bios before using the 8300

Reactions: cnbud01

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, if another CPU didn't work, I'd be inclined to simply think there's an issue with the motherboard and return it. This was pretty much the bottom-of-the-barrel mainstream AM3+ motherboard, and I'd swap it and get something else before wasting too much time trying to resucitate it.

Jan 28, 2023
Honestly, if another CPU didn't work, I'd be inclined to simply think there's an issue with the motherboard and return it. This was pretty much the bottom-of-the-barrel mainstream AM3+ motherboard, and I'd swap it and get something else before wasting too much time trying to resucitate it.
Yeah I’m thinking the same thing. I just didn’t want to wait another week