[SOLVED] Asus m5a78l-m/usb3 not working properly no video

Jan 6, 2019
Okay so this is going to be a long one lol...

I recently, about a month and a half ago bought an ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard for around $25.

My current motherboard is a crappy OEM N-Alvorix-RS880 made by HP.

I have a Phenom II x4 960t CPU, that I wanted to unlock to 6 cores, and use til I can afford a AM3+ CPU.

My issue: I installed the ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard I bought on Ebay for $25, and figured it was defective cause it doesn't work with my system. I even took out the clip that holds the front panel power button/reset/LED wires, and tried to match them up with the board properly, but I ended up spending 6 hours trying to get it to work, but got no where. Only the Fans/Mobo Light/GPU Fan turn on. I get no video what so ever.

I tried it with an Athlon x4 645. My brothers FX CPU and my current Phenom II x4 960t CPU but same result each time. No video or anything.

Tried both Onboard and Dedicated Graphics. Which is weird cause when I power on the Motherboard, my Monitor turns on but no signal lol

I chalked it up to either my case being incompatible or the motherboard being defective. Tried releasing the bios by removing/putting back in the CMOS battery and changed the Jumper, got no where lol.

I was forced to put back in my old motherboard, and it works just fine (using it now)

I'm wondering if its due to the case being made by HP and having some kind of funky issue where it only works with the selected motherboard that came with the system?

Case: Prebuilt HP Pavillion P6837c https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02820972

Would be great if someone could point me in the right direction.

I also hear no beeps whatsoever from the motherboard.

I have 12gb of ram (4 sticks) and I tried taking 2 out and still nothing, I messed around with them to see if any were defective, they weren't (considering I'm using them now)

I'd like to know if I must buy a new case or if there is something I missed? I can't really afford a new case at the moment, I would rather use the one I currently have, if there is a way lol.

I'm running out of options, I feel like I have tried everything. Also to note my PSU is a 450w EVGA.

I tried asking on Reddit for help, but I kept getting half azzed answers from people, or people telling me to get a Ryzen CPU which isn't helpful at all lol so here I am

Solution
If you're sure you have the front panel wiring correct, then I'd say you got a defective motherboard and you're out $25.

Purchased from EBay, it's unlikely you can get a warranty claim from ASUS, but there's no harm in trying. If you can get a copy of your receipt and the box scanner code (or whatever it's called), you can at least start a conversation with ASUS. Otherwise, bite the bullet and chalk it up to a $25 learning experience.

-Wolf sends

ron2456

Distinguished
Sunce you tried with nearly every generation of am3 cpus possible, it must be a bad board.
So go for a replacement. Also make sure that the brass case standoffs are installed in the proper place or the system won't boot.

One more thing does the old PSU have 24pin connector or 20pin connector?

Jan 6, 2019

Its a 24pin connector. As is my EVGA, which I've had for around 1.5 years or so now.

I can't replace the motherboard because it's been over a month, and the seller doesn't offer refunds, so I can't go through paypal either.

Jan 6, 2019

completely missed the part where I said "I can't replace the motherboard because it's been over a month, and the seller doesn't offer refunds, so I can't go through paypal either. "

or just choosing not to read what I write? Not to be a dick, but this is the same kind of stuff i was getting on Reddit. Nobody bothers to read what I write. I specifically said it was from Ebay

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you're sure you have the front panel wiring correct, then I'd say you got a defective motherboard and you're out $25.

Purchased from EBay, it's unlikely you can get a warranty claim from ASUS, but there's no harm in trying. If you can get a copy of your receipt and the box scanner code (or whatever it's called), you can at least start a conversation with ASUS. Otherwise, bite the bullet and chalk it up to a $25 learning experience.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Jan 6, 2019

Yeah I'm out of luck on this. I just wanted some 100% reassurance on the situation. Never know if I may have missed something or not, haha.

ron2456

Distinguished
Do you even know what RMA means? If not then you should have looked it up on google when redditors suggested it.
RMA has nothing to do with either Ebay or the seller.
Do what @Wolfshadw has said or else forget you ever had one.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The seller could very well have been an authorized retailer selling a never-sold motherboard in a box and at times, component brands may show some flexibility on what they cover as goodwill. None of what you said is inconsistent with Ron's advice and it would be hard to blame him if he no longer wished to help you. His tone was sharp, but completely warranted, IMO, given your attitude towards him.

As for your problem, using proprietary cases is a nightmare and hp, like many sellers of prebuilts, frequently uses a lot of proprietary connectors. These will always be poorly documented for the consumer.

People suggesting you save the money towards a Ryzen were likely trying to keep you from wasting your money. Spending money on an old, very budget motherboard to try and get working in an old, proprietary case, for a *chance* at unlocking a couple cores on a CPU released in 2010 is a poor use of funds. Because now if you need the case to get it to work, you'd be about $60 in, nearly a third of the way to a Ryzen 3 2200g with motherboard and 8 GB of RAM, which will greatly outperform your components even if you're successful at unlocking cores.

Nor will you have a real AM3+ upgrade path either; the board you bought runs 125W CPUs very poorly, so you're essentially going to max out with an FX-6300, which isn't much of an upgrade over what you already have either, and you'll be even farther from upgrading from a disappointing 2012 platform.

This whole upgrade strategy was flawed from its inception. You would have been much better served by simply hanging onto your money and saving for something better.

TRENDING THREADS