Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 won't post?!?

Derrka

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Hey, I'm fairly new to PC building, even though I'm good with hardware I've rarely had the chance to build a custom PC until now, so I've recently purchased new components for my system and after installing everything (GPU, RAM) it worked fine, up until I installed a new AMD FX 8320, it won't post and I've tried many many methods to get it to work and none seem to work. There is a case speaker attached so I know when my system has posted.

I put my old CPU in to check if it's still working and it won't post either, even after having used this mobo and CPU for over 2 years without any faults. I made sure my bios was updated before I installed the FX 8320 but I can't seem to figure out why it won't work. I've tried clearing the CMOS, I've tried booting without any ram, I've tried booting with only my CPU, RAM and GPU but I've got nothing, can someone please help me? I've been stuck for days!

Derrka

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

Got nothing, didn't get 1 long beep and 2 short beeps.

Derrka

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

Yeah the CPU fan spins when I power on, when I had all the other components installed they all worked, my fans powered up and my GPU/CPU fans worked, it just wouldn't post or show up on my monitor.

Derrka

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

No beeps with the old CPU, it's nit under warranty anymore:/ I think it might be a corrupt bios problem but I'm not sure, I've researched this for a while and is there a possibility I've bricked my motherboard?

Derrka

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

Well when I updated my BIOS I can't remember if I did it correctly since it was a long time ago, but I think I might of missed a few steps, so I'm trying to see if I can use Asus' CrassFree Bios 3 feature

S_P_Ewing

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Just a word to people reading this thread, these boards are still current in 2014, and are shipping with BIOS v 15.nn+, being rated for 140W TPD. I have seen these with the BIOS reset jumper across pins 2 and 3 "out of the box". This is the reset position, they will not POST, and only the manual will clearly show the normal state. Even experienced techs are fooled by this as it is a few years since we have had to check off jumpers and dip switches. It might be the last step in the QC process ?