ASUS M5A88-V EVO and 1100t (Phen x6) MASSIVE help needed

xjustelevenx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I'm brand new to these forums - I need some help.. :-\

System specs:
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBGRBOX

ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+ AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-S-B 850W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified, ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V
v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire Ready, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9

Sentey Arvina Extreme Division Tower Case 6x Fan LED/ 4 x USB / Multi Card Reader / 4 x Fan Control / E-SATA / 6 x Removable Aluminum Bays / Screwless

ZOTAC AMP! ZT-40102-10P GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

!!!! STOCK CPU COOLER !!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, The problems I'm having : I can't overclock over 3.755ghz. When I do windows freezes on boot animation or it bluescreens right after. Auto-clock managed to get it up to 3.8-4, but it wasn't stable (temps were stable, but using the stability test on AMD Overdrive bluescreened it within seconds.)

Also.. I'm not sure if this means anything but CPU Levelup is grayed out and bios says something about the cpu not being valid for levelup.

When I get it above 3.8, the bsod says something about a "secondary" core clock not responding in time :-\.

I greatly appreciated help :)

(NOTE : I would like to just get the CPU running at 4ghz, and.. I would like to figure out what's wrong with it, if anything :-( )

PS. Windows 7 - 64bit - Ult.

xjustelevenx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
BSOD while running WEI assessment. Details below.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: d3
BCP1: FFFFF880014B60A0
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000001
BCP4: FFFFF800034E6AEE
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\063011-12074-01.dmp
C:\Users\Event Horizon\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-18891-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

KDawg2000

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
xjustelevenx,

There is a few things you want to do to Achive your Overclock...

Make sure that you BIOS is up to date.. A lot of times updates will resolve stability issues such as yours..
also: if you are attempting to Overclock Using Software Based Tools make sure they are also Up to date..

Trying Overclocking Via the bios.. I notice that the SPD for your memory is 1866MHZ.. Try the Settings Below

CPU Ratio: 17.5
CPU Bus Frequency: 233

Make sure your DRAM Voltage is set to v1.65..

Above settings will give you a target: CPU: 4077MHz, DRAM: 1864Mhz (Good Luck)

------ For additional information on how to Overclock your Motherboard visit your Mobo (asus) website..

FYI: I managed to Overclock the CPU to 4G's, However I am Running 2000MHZ DRAM as well..

You probably know this already but do yourself a favor a ditch the stock CPU and get yourself a decent Air or Water Cooling System.
Doing so will insure a stable Overclock, for a much longer period of time..

Lastly: When I enter the bios, I also see "This CPU does not support CPU Level up function" I am assuming at this point this is because we are running the Highest Clocked CPU (based on the Thuban Series) Released.. again assuming, if AMD released a Higher Clocked CPU then a bios update will be released with the Profile

** Hope This Helps

KDawg2000

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
I have also (tonight) Tested the CPU Fequency with different DRAM Timings, which all came back stable.. however, I did notice what when I increased my CPU Ratio +0.5, I lost that stability and during the stress test blue screened.. However, I Believe by increasing the CPU Voltage (from 1.42 to 1.45 or even 1.52) would correct this issue.. but, between me and you I would rather not touch "Voltages" to avoid Frying/damaging the CPU. Also: by increasing the Voltage also Increases CPU Temps.

Lastly: Make sure your Motherboard has a 12v EATX (8-Pin) Cable Connected from your power supply.. Believe it or not, the system will work with a 4-PIN but during Heavy Loads or overclocking could not be providing enough power... (btw: Most Boards when purchased have 4 of the pins capped)

xjustelevenx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011

Thank you :) (sorry I took so long to get back to you, I haven't check this for awhile :'( ) -

My ram can easily be OC'd to 2000mhz, and probably to 2133mhz, though my motherboard only allows up to 2000mhz, Though.. My ram is 1.5v recommended, are you sure I should push it to 1.65v?

And my current ram config : 9-11-10-28 (2t) @ 2000mhz — Though I am still getting random bsods :'(, I have been running my cpu at around 3.7-3.8ghz, and my HT is at 2500mhz atm. (Though... I'm not 100% sure what that does lol... The AsusAI utility shows that I'm in the red-just abit.

But I'm 99% sure that just about all my past bsods were because of the cpu going over 62c.. Stock fan.. Not good. lol... So I guess I'll try to find something new soon, though.. the case may have alot of fans, it isn't helping much... I should probably pick up some new fans too...

Anyway, Should I increase the voltage? Just the ram voltage? Thanks again :)

xjustelevenx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
It's seemed somewhat stable, I have done two 1hour mem86 tests, but I couldn't really figure it out... As it would stay at *I think* 1300mhz :-\, and I couldn't figure out how to change it :'( — So should I run vengeance 1866 @ 1.65? or maybe just 1.55?

It does act stable for now, I have it at the settings Kdawg said to, but I am running the cpu at around 3.35ghz, as I Still have a stock cooler :'( and it is summer - My room is like 85-95 degrees atm,

So - I was also wondering what anyone recommends for a cooler, I'm kinda wanting to go water-cooled soon, but fear the costs :'(

KDawg2000

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
TIPS:

Tigerdirect as of 08/07/2011 has a sale for The Following Units.

* Ultra ChillTec Black Overclocking CPU Cooler for $74.99 (USD). I had used a Simular Device to cool a previous Rig I owned. Warning tho, if you choose to go with it, know that you will have to pull the motherboard from your tower to remove the AMD bracket and replace it with the one that comes in the kit. [Best alternative to Water Cooling]

* Corsair CWCH80 Hydro H80 CPU Liquid Cooler on sale for $89.99 (USD), with great reviews may be your best option. If you go with this unit, make sure the exhaust (rear fan) supports a 120mm Fan.

KDawg2000

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
if you are going to run t as the tested SPD of 1866 you can run it as the recommended 1.5 Volts... if you plan on Overclocking the Memory to 2000Mhz then push the voltage to 1.65.

xjustelevenx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
The water cooling sounds nice, and I do have a 120mm fan (I believe) in the back (my PSU is bottom mounted :) ) - I'm pretty sure my case was designed for watercooling (as my maybe-more-so techie told me :) ) Thanks, I'll see about getting it ordered and see what happens, hopefully the processor getting too hot was the only problem.

KDawg2000

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
if you haven't already ordered the Cooler, make sure you get a good thermal greese with it... I recommend and use: Thermaltake - TG1 Extreme High Grade Thermal (Non-Conductive) or goto a Radio Shack and pickup a tube of Artic Silver..

I know from personal experience that if you get the chilltec, the greese that comes with it sux.. and i am not sure if corsairs' cooler even comes with any.. besides, it's wise to get the best to protect your investment..

xjustelevenx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Alrighty, Sorry to bump this old post.. But... I've noticed something :-\...

Everytime I try running the Asus TurboV Evo Auto-overclocker on extreme, it freezes and crashes :-\ Any ideas?

EDIT: And... i've been forgetting to mention this for awhile...

Here's where more.. of the "MASSIVE" help is needed..

1) The auto-overclocking on bios... Just... Doesn't work? It says "may take up to 5 mins" but all it does is restart?

2) I have my drives set to AHCI, I have a Agility 3 and Seagate 1.5tb LP. - The agility 3 is the drive that has all the windows files on it...

BUUUUUT.... the system will Only bootup if I have the seagate selected as the "Bootup" drive... And when ever I have the seagate unplugged... The system WILL NOT start, Even if I select my agility 3 to boot... and I'm 100% Sure that the windows files are on the agility 3...

3) The OC Profiles... Won't.. work? I can't save any profiles, as ALL drives (including usb externals and jump-drives..) Are write-protected :-\.

So.. As you can see.. I'm guessing my motherboard... is in love with my seagate? and refuses to work without it? And I've tried just unplugging the seagate and reinstalling on the agility 3... Windows 7 install boots up to the part where you select which version to install, but compains that the files aren't found... :-\...

So... Like I said... MASSIVE HELP needed... Even after months :S.

Please please... Save me... You're my only hope :)

Edit 2: Here's some youtube videos of my settings and showing the stuff, sorry for the quality.. cheepo android phone :'(

Trying to boot pt 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIiwaciXdZk

Trying to boot pt 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGs25yxpuTU

And trying to use the AutoOC in bios - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40z5xO3U8-w

If you have any ideas or want another video of other settings then post.

(Again - sorry for the low quality)

rarsa

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I'm glad I found this thread.

I am quite experienced with computers (HW/SW) but have never overclocked.

I just bought a very similar setup yesterday and was stumped. (AMD 1100T Black, M5A88-V EVO, RAM 1866MHz, OCZ 60 GB SDD )

My impression is that to use this CPU/MOBO/memory combination you must overclock

I found similar issues as you:

1) The overclocking does not work, it just reboots and then benchmarks show it as running at 800 MHz!!
2) Trying to boot from an IDE drive does not work, Trying to boot from the IDE DVD "sometimes" works but most of the time just freezes. Booting from the SATA sometimes works but most of the time just freezes. Booting from USB worked fine.

I will try some of the suggestions here and elsewhere, but if you find a set of settings that work please post them here.

xjustelevenx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Maybe the motherboard is just ... weird? And no one else has noticed the weirdness?

But I would like to use the BIO's AutoOC option :'( and if my Seagate dies... then my computer is dead, because it won't allow me to install windows 7 anymore :-\.

So.. Hopefully... there's a bio's Update or something... I should probably inform Asus's customer support about this problem, because I'm guessing it's just a bio's problem.

Buuuut, Do post something if you find anything out :-D

*Edit*

*head-desk* Lol... There's an update right now :-O

-http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A88V_EVO/#download-

"Fix the issue that the size may be incorrect when build RAID with 3TB HDD.
1. Backup all the data in the RAID partition before updating the BIOS.
2. Use EZ-FLASH to update the BIOS after you have confirmed all the data is backup.
3. Re-build the RAID partition.
4. Remove the data back to the new RAID partition.
5. After updating the BIOS, please use latest AMD SB850 RAID driver 3.2.1540.92."

Doesn't sound like any of our problems.. but maybe it'll help? I'll check it.

*Edit 2*

The Booting has been fixed, But... Still no AutoOC utility working. upon flashing Bio's is default, I made a few changes (disabling options that are no good for ocing.) then saved and restarted. Upon restart (leaving all most CPU OC options auto, except for turbo (off)) I was greeted by a 3.8ghz speed and 232 cpu/ht reference clock.

I tried using the OC tuner... and... nothing. :-\... Atleast it boot rights now.. :D

*Edit 3*

(Swears... alot..)

Arrrrrrg... Apparently It didn't fix the boot, after the last restart.... I now have to select the seagate drive on boot options.. for windows to boot.. FML :'(

rarsa

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Something else in my case, I don't know if it is the motherboard or the PSU (which is also new) but it seems that two of my DVD drives are not functional anymore after working earlier.

I will update the BIOS and see how it goes

xjustelevenx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
So I still can't use any of the Auto-Overclocking features, And TurboV doesn't work right either. - When I use the "extreme" setting, it freeze-crashes while changing the voltages :-\ Maybe one of my settings doesn't allow voltage-changes? idk.

rarsa

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Turbo V didn't work for me either, It froze my computer.

I have it running at 3.6 with very simple manual changes.

1.- Make sure the memory has the right latency http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2a1866c9.html

Why did you choose that latency?

Based on my tests the temperature is the main issue here with the stock fan.

I was able to go through the Intelburn test reporting a stable system with 203 Mhz and an 18 ratio for a total frequency of 3654 MHz and 66 Gflopps

It ran at around 65 C.

When I increased to 210 Mhz x 18 the CPU shut up very quickly over 75 C and the Intelburn test reported instability.

I even reduced the CPU Voltage to 1.3 V.

So It seems obvious to me that temperature is the core factor here. If you want to overclock, Get a decent cooler.

xjustelevenx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Do you have the m5a88 -v evo? (I know that I def need to upgrade cpu cooling - just waiting for a paycheck that doesn't have to go to bills) (Also - I'm thinking.. maybe... the motherboard just fails? Idk.. :-\)

cscottm90

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I have this same board & the most I got on O/C was 3792, and that was with 1.50 Vcore, 1.65v on the Ram, 1.35v on HT & Cpu NB, NB, etc (basically just about all the voltages was bumped up).

I lowered it back down to 3720 (201x20), where the only voltage I had to use was vcore (1.47 & Dram 1.65).

I'm wondering if there is an issue with the board overall, as I was able to get to 4 ghz on my 1090t on my gigabyte board, but I wanted to switch to DDR3

xjustelevenx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I can get mine up to 3.8*??* (??'s are.. some number, I forget lol) without bluescreening, I can get it up to 4ghz, but it's unstable. (mostly because of stock cooler - probably..) But I wouldn't recommend this board to anyone :-\... unless you're planning a budget build.. - I'm regretting not getting a little pricey-ier one.

But... 1.5 vcore.. Whoa.. I didn't have it that high when I went to 4ghz :-O (though I forget what I had it at :-\... But certainly not that high.) - Furthermore - until I (finally) get some watercooling solution to my heat problems, I probably won't go past 3.8 :-s.

But I'll see what if I can get 4ghz for yah :)

-EDIT-

I guess 1.5 is required? :-\, Bluescreened everytime under 1.5... Though 1.5 seems kinda high? ( I think? )

Pic

captureldi.png

-Though I did change a few other things too - Hopefully it's stable - I'll report what I find.

-EDIT2-

Hehe.. That was fast :-\... Ran a malware scan while watching some youtube and temps went from a resting at 47c to 58-59 then bluescreened.. I'm gunna guess it was a rapid-temp-rise-auto-shutdown or something... *Maybe clueless?* Anyway - DEF not stable on a stock cooler lol.

xjustelevenx

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
And Update : While I can't push it above 3.8 or so without changing coolers, I have been getting bsods and freezes while playing league of legends :'(, the temps are warm, but not enough to freeze ( I think )... I'm sure I'm dealing with a faulty motherboard. After the freeze or bsod, If I press the restart button (not the shutdown button) it fails to load (find?) the AHCI drives. I have to press and hold the shuttoff button for it to boot up properly, and even then I have to unplug my wifi dongle (-- I don't have to when I bootup from a normal shutdown or restart).