JS92

Reputable
May 16, 2015
I have recently tried swapping components with my brothers PC

I put my CPU into his PC - Windows Boots
I put his CPU into my PC - Turns off after 5 seconds
I put his RAM into my PC - Turns off after 5 seconds
I put his HDD into my PC - Fine*

I currently have my PC running/loaded into Windows with the new components (CPU, RAM, Mobo) but with his HDD with Windows 8 installed, which leads me to believe there is a problem with my HDD/Installation of Windows 7 - however, I had to boot from pressing the MEMOK! button and go through the BIOS to select a boot drive, the front power button still won't boot the PC up instead it turns on for 5 seconds, the CPU_LED flashes once and then turns off.

Putting my HDD in his PC and it boots up fine - so no corruption of the windows installation files.

This is really bizarre as none of the components have failed when put in other others/other combinations.

My new components;
CPU - AMD FX 8350
RAM - HyperX Savage 1600MHz 2x4Gb
Mobo - ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0

You make no mention of ANY power supplies. Put his power supply or another power supply in your system and see if it boots. I'd almost guarantee it does. What is your PSU model number?

It could be a motherboard issue, but the power supply is much more likely.

JS92

Reputable
May 16, 2015

I have a 600W PSU in my PC and 480W PSU in my brothers.

IMO Power supply is fine but my PC consists of;

AMD FX 8350
ASUS M5A97
HyperX Savage 8Gb 1600MHz
HIS 7870 IceQ 2Gb
1 320Gb HDD (I have two more, but left them disconnected)

My setup above works when I plug in my brothers HDD, but again only pressing the MEMOK! button.

I think it could be the motherboard but I've managed to boot into Windows and it all works fine :S

What is the model number of your power supply. I can appreciate that YOU think the power supply is ok, but considering that PSU failure is the number ONE problem seen across this forum, in my personal repair and consulting business and in the world at large, especially when people try running high end hardware on OEM or off brand units, that's where I'd be looking first. Good PSUs fail out of the box at amazing rates, so it's never a surprise when one that's been in service for a while starts exhibiting strange behavior or failing outright. The power supply is the only part that can mimic the failure of any other parts, because without stable power every other part fails to operate correctly.

Your 7870 requires only a 500w unit, so as long as you don't run any games while it's in there, you MIGHT be able to narrow things down with the use of his unit. First, I'd try disconnecting ALL unnecessary hardware needed to simply POST and gain entry to the BIOS. Disconnect all hard drives, remove all but one stick of RAM, disconnect any external USB peripherals and see if you can at least get into the BIOS and find the system voltage readings. +3v, +5v and +12v are what we're looking for. If you can, post the readings here. If you can't, try another PSU. If another KNOWN good PSU of sufficient voltage won't allow the system to start, then I'd probably look hard at it being the motherboard since the PSU and motherboard are the only components you haven't used in another system to verify they work.

You can also test the PSU using a volt meter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

JS92

Reputable
May 16, 2015

I have an OCZ 600SXS

So I am in BIOS with all HDD's detached and the readings are as follows;
http://i.imgur.com/hOUWSAA.jpg

CPU voltage looks kind of high for a stock chip, but if it's set on auto or default settings, then it's ok. The rest of the voltages for the PSU look ok going strictly off the sensor readings.

I'd still try another PSU if one is available that has sufficient capacity, that 480w unit should probably be ok to at least determine that it doesn't instantly shut back down, but I'd be leaning towards the motherboard or an incorrect voltage setting for the CPU or RAM in the BIOS right now.

JS92

Reputable
May 16, 2015

Thanks for your help, I'll try all my components with my brothers PSU (480w) and then see what's what but I think I'm gonna return the motherboard for another/claim it's faulty :(

Yeah, an RMA at this point might be a foregone conclusion. Worst case scenario, it costs you ten bucks in shipping, they test it, and send it back with the latest bios installed. Which, by the way, do you HAVE the latest bios installed?

I'd make absolutely certain to check all of the connections to the motherboard before you send it out, as outlined here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

I've seen some weird issues related to the 4 or 8 pin CPU socket connection and the 24 pin ATX power socket as well. Make absolutely certain those are entirely seated, as sometime they SEEM like they are, but are not, or having some small amount of corrosion or foreign material down in one of the pin sockets that rears it's ugly head in the form of an issue.

TRENDING THREADS