Question ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Hinky with an 18TB HDD

Oct 7, 2022
I installed a Seagate 18TB Hard drive to my ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard, it worked well for a couple of months but now I'm getting a blue screen saying its collecting info from the error (what Error !), so in shutting it down, it worked ok for a day or so then it freezes when I want to access any files from the HDD, I purchased and Installed an 8TB HDD (after removing the 18TB) and it does the same. now, some guy here at Toms said that the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard has a 2TB limitation, I can't find that information anywhere in the Universe, Does anyone know anything about this ?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I think the info that might've been parsed would be the fact that larger platter drives were limited in capacity back in 2012, which is when the board was released. There were/are instances of boards from that era(my A85x-itx board included) needed an UEFI BIOS update to allow for a 2TB or higher drive to be recognized on a SATA data port(and have your OS installed on said drive).

I am suspecting the PSU to be your issue...considering the baord you're working with.

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard and the make and model of the PSU, as well as it's age?

Oct 7, 2022
I built the system myself (A+ Cert) PSU is a generic 500 W purchased 2 years ago, CPU AM3+ 6350 and Memory (Kingston 4x2GB DDR3) purchased at the time of the build 5 years ago, the HDD is a Seagate Exos 18TB, the BIOS is listed in CUPU-Z as 1.xx. I have never updated any BIOS, ever so should I do that ?

Oct 7, 2022
I have a 1TB SSD as my primary, two 8TB Seagate Barracudas also but when I want to put an 18TB Seagate Exos The Motherboard can.t detect it and sometimes I also loose my 8TB's. when I remove the 18TB everything comes back, I have a 750Watt PS and I have updated the Bios but I can't find out why, Does my M5A97 R2.0 have limits ?

kanewolf

Titan
I have a 1TB SSD as my primary, two 8TB Seagate Barracudas also but when I want to put an 18TB Seagate Exos The Motherboard can.t detect it and sometimes I also loose my 8TB's. when I remove the 18TB everything comes back, I have a 750Watt PS and I have updated the Bios but I can't find out why, Does my M5A97 R2.0 have limits ?
One thread per topic, per the rules of this board.

TRENDING THREADS