ASUS M5A97 R2.0 - Won't recognize hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperiorRedneck

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
So I've had my current setup for going on 2 and a half years now. It's my first build, I've leaned alot there have been minor hickups here and there but for the most part it's been a pretty solid machine...until recently. It started by having weird issues where I'd put it in sleep mode then it would take forever to get there but then it would start up almost instantly. Also it wouldn't turn the display off after 15 minutes. Not sure if that is relevant, but the issue I'm having now is it will out of no where, restart and then show the ASUS boot screen, then go to a screen that says "Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key." Sometimes I can restart it repetitively and it will boot but usually it's short lived. When it does this, I've swapped an SSD in to see if it was my hard drive and I get the same result which leaves me to believe its the motherboard. Anyone had this happen to them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solution

Did you try setting your HDD priority to the drive that has windows on it? Try a different sata port?

SuperiorRedneck

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015

Yes, I've made sure the priority is set to HDD and I've tried different ports.

If no drives are being detected in the bios then your sata controller most likely died.

SuperiorRedneck

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015

So is that something replaceable or does that mean I need a new motherboard?

You'll most likely need a new motherboard. I highly doubt resetting the CMOS will fix it.

SuperiorRedneck

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015

I'll try resetting the CMOS because it can't hurt but I probably wont be that lucky. Is it very common for the sata controller to give it up or is this a 1 in a million thing?

Unplug the power cord and hold the power button for a good 30 seconds to completely drain power to the system, It will reinitialize everything from a cold boot. If not I'd look into replacing the mobo.

Solution

wsjchay

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017

If you go to the Asus website it will give you a list of certain SSD's that are compatible with the M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard. Just choose your OS accordingly then scroll down to the 'Qualified Vendors List' and it should tell you. Hope this helps!

Oct 7, 2022
I have a 1TB SSD as my primary, two 8TB Seagate Barracudas also but when I want to put an 18TB Seagate Exos The Motherboard can.t detect it and sometimes I also loose my 8TB's. when I remove the 18TB everything comes back, I have a 750Watt PS and I have updated the Bios but I can't find out why, Does my M5A97 R2.0 have limits ?

USAFRet

Titan
I have a 1TB SSD as my primary, two 8TB Seagate Barracudas also but when I want to put an 18TB Seagate Exos The Motherboard can.t detect it and sometimes I also loose my 8TB's. when I remove the 18TB everything comes back, I have a 750Watt PS and I have updated the Bios but I can't find out why, Does my M5A97 R2.0 have limits ?
This is a 5 year old thread.

Please start a new one, for your particular situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.