Asus M5a97 vs Gigabyte 970 UD3P

Solution
A lot of the 970 boards within that range have pretty much identical features. So I think what you should look at is the power efficiency, as well as the layout of the boards. Gigabyte boards are normally have a really solid pcb, which elimenates a lot of bend as well as some heat, and they have really good capacitors. On the asus side they have really good user friendly bios, as well as being very easy to overclock with. They have really good power efficiency features, semi solid pcb, and have been known to work well with amd. then there is also an msi board MSI Computer Corp. Socket AM3+ , my friend bought this board and had me assemble his pc, but I noticed the pcb was kind of thin and flimsy, the ram slots are kind of easy to...

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
A lot of the 970 boards within that range have pretty much identical features. So I think what you should look at is the power efficiency, as well as the layout of the boards. Gigabyte boards are normally have a really solid pcb, which elimenates a lot of bend as well as some heat, and they have really good capacitors. On the asus side they have really good user friendly bios, as well as being very easy to overclock with. They have really good power efficiency features, semi solid pcb, and have been known to work well with amd. then there is also an msi board MSI Computer Corp. Socket AM3+ , my friend bought this board and had me assemble his pc, but I noticed the pcb was kind of thin and flimsy, the ram slots are kind of easy to break, and the board layout was kind of odd. The only plus to that board were the angled sata ports. I think the ASUS board will be beast if you want a lot of extra features. But the gigabyte board is amazingly solid if you want a board that you can count on to last for years and years. Just look and compare the two and think about could that feature really benefit me? or would I never really have any use for it. The 970 boards are pretty good but if you plan on doing a lot of upgrades in the future you could get a board with the 990FX chip set for about 30 dollars more. https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/ this board has tons of features that will make it very easy to upgrade other components, as well as overclocking. Your choice

Solution

Hugh_G_Rektion

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014

Thanks, I'll be going with the 970 M5A97 because of the UEFI. Unfortunately I already went over my budget so I can't get the M5A99. You gave me a really detailed answer