Question Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 won't post

Dec 26, 2019
Pc quit booting or even posting for that matter. This is what I have tried this far:

Swapped video cards
Swapped HDMI cables
Verified input on monitor
Swapped ram around and tried one stick at a time
Pulled bios battery
Tried a different slot for the video cards

So it used to work and then had intermittent issues powering on and then hasn't been used in months because we all have laptops, but now it won't do anything. The lights on the motherboard indicate it sees the ram, and it sees the boot device or looks for it since one isn't hooked up at the moment and it has power... obviously. I'm trying to get this thing running so my kid can use his oculus.

Dec 26, 2019
Pc quit booting or even posting for that matter. This is what I have tried this far:

Swapped video cards
Swapped HDMI cables
Verified input on monitor
Swapped ram around and tried one stick at a time
Pulled bios battery
Tried a different slot for the video cards

So it used to work and then had intermittent issues powering on and then hasn't been used in months because we all have laptops, but now it won't do anything. The lights on the motherboard indicate it sees the ram, and it sees the boot device or looks for it since one isn't hooked up at the moment and it has power... obviously. I'm trying to get this thing running so my kid can use his oculus.

I just did another test. The CPU led comes on for a second when you first power it up and then blinks once.

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Sounds to me that the bios is toast. You can find a replacement bios on eBay fairly cheap, I mean, to me it’s worth a shot, it’s a hard to come by motherboard now.

It is one of the most sought out motherboard for overclocking.. have 2 of them. I ran into this issue on my main rig about a year ago, did the bios swap off of a board I picked up on eBay for $5+shipping ( broken board. Somehow they snapped off one of the north bridge heatsyncs and also damaged 3 of 4 ram slots.. looked as though they successfully installed the ram backwards.)

anyways. If you have 6 cores or less, it might be more viable to purchase a m5a97 board. 8 cores or more the 990 chipset is really the only way to go, most times worth the effort of bios replacement.