Question ASUS M5A99X-EVO RAID config questions

mjonis

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
ASUS M5a99X-EVO (not the R2 version, AFAIK). Latest BIOS.

In the BIOS settings, there's the SATA Configuration which says SB Configuration and then there's the RAID ROM options.
What's the difference between Legacy ROM and UEFI Driver options that show up? The BIOS doesn't tell you and I can't find the manual info on this to save my life. And my google-fu skills seem to not find this info either.

Windows 10 64-bit.

It seems if I do NOT enable Legacy ROM, you cannot use the CTRL-F feature to actually enter the array utility and look at/configure the RAID set. I don't see anywhere in the BIOS with the UEFI Driver to actually specify RAID-1 and all that jazz.

Further, I'm a tad confused with Windows 10 install. Do you need to do the special driver disk, if using UEFI Driver?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I know traditionally (like Windows 7 and XP) you had to set all the stuff up in the BIOS first, and boot with the disk and insert the driver disk during install (you couldn't change it after the fact), but don't recall about Windows 10.

Lutfij

Titan
For the sake of relevance, can you state what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? Are you sure that you don't have the R2 version of the motherboard? Reason for the ask is that they both have different BIOS versions/updates.

See if you're able to follow through the steps in this video;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaYIg6h-NfU

Might I ask what's the need for a RAID1 with the OS on it? You can merely install the OS onto an SSD, then later down the road, as shown in the video, create your RAID array in BIOS without the need for any drivers or a drivers disk.

Hope this helps.

mjonis

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
For the sake of relevance, can you state what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? Are you sure that you don't have the R2 version of the motherboard? Reason for the ask is that they both have different BIOS versions/updates.

See if you're able to follow through the steps in this video;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaYIg6h-NfU

Might I ask what's the need for a RAID1 with the OS on it? You can merely install the OS onto an SSD, then later down the road, as shown in the video, create your RAID array in BIOS without the need for any drivers or a drivers disk.

Hope this helps.

The motherboard doesn't mention the R2.0 and the BIOS simply says it's the M5a99x EVO no R 2.0). BIOS version 1709

I wasn't sure if Windows 10 needed to be installed like Windows XP (and I think Windows 7) did. Apparently it does not (which is a relief).

Anyway, in this case, I was working on a friend's computer and there was a RAID-1 array already created, but somehow one of the drives got booted out of the array (still not sure how that happened). I ended up having to download the AMD RAIDXpert (not the RAIDXpert2, the original one) to rebuild the array (apparently you cannot do that in the BIOS). Windows 10 seems to come natively with the AMD SB chipset driver for the RAID driver, but the RAIDXpert needs/wants its own special AMD one, so it installed that as well.

It also seems (again, the ASUS manual is "sparse" )that if you enable the Legacy ROM in order to use the CTRL-F to manage the RAID, that Windows 10 will NOT boot (failed to find bootable device) so when you're done, you need to go back into the BIOS and set the SB RAID config back to UEFI Driver and then Windows 10 is happy.