Asus Makes Good On ROG Gaming Promises With Liquid-Cooled GX700, G752 Laptop, And 'Oculus-Ready' PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to have to see that liquid cooled laptop in action to believe it. Hard to see how they got it to undock without any leakage but then again this is Asus, they have done some pretty crazy designs before, anyone else remember the RoG Tytan?

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
The G20CB, only up to 3TB hard drive? Why not 6TB?

With the liquid and air cooled GX700, I hope the liquid cooling loop cools the CPU as well, not just the GPU for more overclocking!. The water pump is in the external unit I'm sure. AC adapter wattage is 330 watts I assume, because 240w won't be enough in all situations.

The G752VY Series can only get up to a 1TB mechanical drive? Like I think MSI, they don't like the Samsung M9T 2TB drive?
Hopefully a matte screen as an option so it can be used outside. Rainbow backlit keyboard?

Looks like the G752 may be thinner & lighter than the G751, awesome.

On all the laptops in this article, nothing in the charts about headphones/microphone jacks.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Jimmysmitty, in my dayjob I get to drive a big ol' Bobcat, it has hydraulic quickconnects for front attachments. I've used the quickconnects for a hydraulic brush/sweeper. It is indeed essentially drip proof. Assuming you don't have any large amount of dirt lodged into your quickconnects. I don't for a second think Asus had any trouble coming up with a design for a much lower pressure drip-free setup. I think the only drips involved will be some of the users, not implying you there.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
There is a model of the G752 with just a 965m GPU in it. From the spec page, "G752VL-DH71" 180w AC adapter; they better use a 240w for the 980m version, otherwise throttling like what MSI and Alienware tried to get away with.

Only a 1.2MP camera!? My Circa 2008 Asus G50VT laptop has 1.3MP.
Only a 66 watt hour battery for a 2015 laptop.. 8.8 pounds.

Matte screen option hopefully so reflections aren't an issue?

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Am I the only one that thinks the water-cooled laptop is ridiculous, stupid, and defeats the purpose of a laptop? Also, if you're going to have an external radiator why not an external desktop GPU?

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014

The difference in performance of the mobile 980m and the full 980 is about 25% more performance for the desktop chipset, so it's fine. It would be nice to have an external graphics dock for future GPUs that far outpace the internal one. I assume with the water cooled laptop, that the GPU is not on an MXM slot and so not upgradable.
It is a niche laptop but it'll overclock more than any other laptop (hopefully).

The water cooling dock is likely significantly less expensive than a external GPU dock + a GPU.
And if it cools the CPU too, very nice overclocks on it as well to bring new life to the laptop.
It'll perform great on the go, and be a total beast when docked (IF the AC adapter and safety guards don't bottleneck it). If the GPU is upgradable, I think it's fantastic but probably not upgradable.

Would be killer to have a dock for the dock to chill the water with a compressor or peltier.

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
I don't even know why they bothered to put a battery in the one with the desktop 980 in it. It probably can't even keep the laptop on while gaming longer than a cheap UPS can a typical desktop and monitor during a power outage. Hell, that is probably the only use for that laptop's battery.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014

It'll last many hours with the GPU shut off if you don't need it. I sure hope it'll have Nvidia Optimus!
Otherwise with the Nvidia GPu still on but idling, maybe 2 hours not sure. The idle power consumption would still be a lot better than older GPUs.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
It seems both cool and stupid to water-cool a laptop. Heck, why not? Not everything needs to be the same or practical for every purpose. Definitely a niche market.

Status
Not open for further replies.