Asus' Mammoth18.4" W90 Laptop Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]roofus[/nom]let me guess... 10 minute battery life?[/citation]

It does come with a 12-cell battery, so it may not be too bad.
-Devin

jalt

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
That's a darn good price. My Dell M6400 cost almost twice that, and probably has a much shorter battery life. Core 2 x9100 gives me about 2 hours, with FX2700m card. I'd bet the Asus is closer to 3 hours if you aren't taxing the graphics card too much.

G

$2,199??? SUCH A GOOD DEAL.

Too bad the battery will last all of 10 minutes with both CPU, GPU cores loaded and both radios on.

1raflo

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
OMG a damn radeon 4870 X2 in a notebook ! of course is the mobile version chip, so stop flaming about the "10 minutes battery life", the power to feed it IS NOT like the desktop version. Perhaps the most powerful mobile graphic solution to date i guess. I bet this is like the best gaming notebook right now. Haha eat that alienware and your ridiculously overpriced laptops!

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
im sure you need to have it plugged in to actually 'use' both cards. If it used some 'hybrid' crossfire or such, IGP for desktop use, it would deffinately be a desktop killer...

Claimintru

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Its meant to be a gaming PC that you can also fold up and carry with you from house to house etc. Honestly the price for that much crammed into something so relatively portable is impressive. And as far as weight goes....something that fits in backpack, vs a full to mid size tower? Pretty convenient

blaster00

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Bravo Asus!! my longtime favourite brand of laptops along with Fujitsu. it's all about the price. i think that 4870 X2 won't fit in laptops smaller than 17" but hey i'm just a newbie in physics. benchmarks pleeease!

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
A "laptop" of that size is blurring the lines between product lines. It's size and weight would put it in the All In One category for me but the fact that it has a battery and does offer some level of portability would keep it in the "notebook" category. The thing is I can't imagine myself, or anyone for that matter, using this as an actual notebook. It clearly isn't designed to sit in your lap. My girlfriend has a 20" iMac I'm sure I could throw that in my bag and take it to Starbucks but that doesn't exactly make it a laptop.

It is similar to the more expensive netbooks. At what point does a netbook cease to be a netbook and become a cheaper notebook. The term "netbook" to me is synonymous with being small, lightweight, and inexpensive. With some of these "netbooks" being 10+ inches and upwards of $500-$700 can they really be classified as netbooks anymore?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
This is great, except it's asus ofcourse! Now your average student doesn't need a main rig, a laptop for study, and a lan gaming rig - they just need one laptop! I do wonder why it's sporting a single 320gb drive instead of 2x320gb drives in raid 0, or at least a single 500gb drive. But it's great that finally you get some decent speed in a laptop. I don't think the cpu is fast enough for the graphics solution though. it's the eqvivalent of running an e8300 slightly below speed after all.

StupidRabbit

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
too bad ben meyer isnt here anymore, he could take a quick look at it if toms hardware gets a piece and run a quick session of crysis to see how it compares to a desktop..

theblade

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
This is an awesome LAN Party rig, not lots of cables, only the back pack instead of a CPU + monitor + keyboard set up, but for portability I can't imagine carring such a "laptop" every day.
Awesome price tough.

aalkema

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
I've had an ASUS G2P for a year and a half - it's a big 17" gaming notebook. It's not exactly portable, but I use it while I'm on the couch, and it's really handy for LAN parties. It's still a lot easier to move around than a desktop!

The specs on this thing blow my G2P out of the water though... too bad I have no money.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
This reminds be of that Hummer commercial for the H3. They have a bunch of giants hunched around a tiny table trying to design the next hummer. An averaged sized human walks into the room and suggests they build something smaller.

Apparently Asus employs a similiar set of giants who think 10" is the minimum for a netbook, and 18" is a good size for a notebook. Personally I own a 7" CloudBook, and have no problem typing with my average-sized man-hands. Anyone remember when 12" was the standard laptop size?

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]Benhurra[/nom]Sadly this mobility 4870 is equipped with gddr3, not gddr5 as stated.But non the less, awsome.[/citation]

Where did you find that at?

[citation][nom]blibba[/nom]4870X2 in a notebook? Did they check the thermal tolerances the keyboard?[/citation]

Keyboard? You don't need no stinkin' keyboard.

ryzeki

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Several users already reported it is GDDR3 indeed, the laptop does not sport GDRR5 as stated. Also, the resolution is 1920x1080 because of the 16:9 ratio of the screen.

Asus gaming notebooks (at least new ones since G50) include turbo mode that allowes up to 25% overclock for CPU (depending on CPU). This Asus W90 comes with a 2.8ghz but its max CPU speeds are 3.3ghz I believe. With stock drivers it scores over 15k 3dmark06 score, and a user with a quad core at 4ghz on this laptop (it is quad core compatible) achieved over 20k 3dmarks. As someone said to me "this notebook puts a lot of desktops to shame".

Definetly an awesome deal for the price. I would get one myself, but I am currently happy with my Asus G50, specially since my 9800m GS is still able to play anything :p

Status
Not open for further replies.