Asus' Mammoth18.4" W90 Laptop Available

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]ryzeki[/nom]Several users already reported it is GDDR3 indeed, the laptop does not sport GDRR5 as stated.[/citation]

Proof man, I need proof. :)

G

We should coin "portable desktop computer" for this sort of monstrosity.

indianavet

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
It made me flash back to another era:

Set in an aluminum case, it weighed 29 pounds (13 kilograms) and was equipped with a Zilog Z80 microprocessor, 64 kibibytes of RAM, and two 5¼-inch double-density floppy-disk drives. It ran on Digital Research, Inc.'s CP/M operating system, and sold for about US$1,795.00

G

is battery life really an issue with a "notebook" this size? i'm sure anywhere you would be unloading this behemoth is going to be it's home for a while. just have the moving crew check for power outlets before they set it down.

G

@ christop it's about 11 1/2 LBS

*ASOOS* has outdone themselves with the W90 Series. Look out for the three other models which should be released sometime this year. They started with the size of the GPU and worked backwards - this is why we have one helluva 18" monitor that, in turn, dictates the overall laptop size. I must say in defence of ASUS' efforts that this first W90Vp in the series of three more W90 configs to come later this year that the ASUS people are delivering on their CTO's promise last year to keep an eye out on their desktop line - it will be one of two Taiwanese firms to deliver what even the most demanding "retail consumer" demands. ASUS has lived up to that promise at the top end as MSI has done the same on the lesser expensive, lower spec'd laptops with their GT725 notebooks (4850's to date - sorry).

The length of the ATI 4870 X2 used by ASUS remains the constraint on their producing a laptop remotely smaller / lighter. While configuring my Fragbox, I ran into this issue. With the experts Falon MW's suggestion, I skirted the problem by accepting their suggestion to use instead 2 x ATI 4870's instead. The cost of the whole deal came to only a couple hundred dollars more than ASUS' W90Vp (and I got my favorite flag case on an infrequent Falcon special!).

Generally, in the desktop arena, I've loved what Falcon NW has been doing for years. And contrary to people's assumptions, it is an inexpensive desktop for its top quality that lasts forever. I guess the Fragbox - my 2nd purchase from them after a desktop - is somewhere between a monster lappy like the Asus W70Vp and a very small desktop.

If you want the monster laptop, this ASUS is IMHO a superb machine. My son-in-law bought it about two weeks ago and he's sold on it completely. He's one tough customer who led me to Falcon NW some years ago for my desktop.

So far as a new laptop, I'll wait for one of the upcoming W90 models as yet unreleased.

G

this laptop price is so much big thats why i love asus group but i have no mony

Status
Not open for further replies.