Question Asus Matrix HD 7970 Platinum crashing ?

Jun 5, 2024
Hi, i got a Intel i7-940 i think (ik its a first gen) on a Intel DX58SO MB going with an
Asus Matrix HD 7970 Platinum and 12GB DDR3 RAM. The power supply was a Gigabyte 500w. Tho I think the guy who did the previous Quadcore for me swapped it with a Gigabyte 440w

The GPU worked fine but started to crash since I used the Quadcore, I anyway wanted to upgrade so I went to the i7 cuz the Quadcore had 2 slots DDR2 and 4gb anit doing it for me. Its mainly for a media production use tho play games on it from time to time instead of my other PC.

If you load a game it instantly crash on the quadcore it only crashed on the title screen. the temp goes to around 80 C before crashing. not to hot or anything but i cant see if it goes higher since the display goes black for a few seconds before the entire pc restart. Cinebench working 100. tho Haven crash immediately or in low settings it takes about a minute to crash. I don't want to buy i new PSU if its the GPU or vice versa.

I am unhappy the the PSU got swapped by that other guy bu the recomended PSU for the HD 7970 is 600w anyway so... was time to upgrade anyway

Case: Cougar
MB: Intel DX58SO
CPU: Intel i7 9** 1gen
GPU: Asus Matrix HD 7970 Platinum
RAM: 12GB DDR3
PSU: Gigabyte 440w
SD: 2x 1T SSD x1 NVME T

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
The power supply was a Gigabyte 500w. Tho I think the guy who did the previous Quadcore for me swapped it with a Gigabyte 440w
Gigabyte is the brand of the unit while the 3 digit number you've mentioned is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit and what is it's age?

i got a Intel i7 940 i think
What processor did you get to begin with and what did you upgrade to?

I am unhappy the the PSU got swapped by that other guy bu the recomended PSU for the HD 7970 is 600w anyway so... was time to upgrade anyway
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-rog-matrix-hd-7970-platinum.b245
It's not 600W...