ASUS Maximus Formula VII Z97 or ASUS Sabertooth Mark S Z97

JohnMartin7

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
I purchased my ASUS Sabertooth Mark S z97 yesterday (white version) and today there is a deal on the ASUS Maximus Formula VII. It's about $20 cheaper than the Sabertooth Mark S I bought and I have to option to return it for the Maximus VII formula. Should I do it? I'll be using my PC for gaming purely. My case is the H440 white, and part of the reason why I went with the Sabertooth Mark S was for aesthetics/matching color scheme.

Solution
Well I can vouch that the Formula is a fantastic board, very nice BIOS, option to watercool mosfets etc built in.
Formula supports faster memory, has M.2 Socket 3, the onboard sound is actually superb for onboard (like the Ranger), built in wifi/bluetooth, debug display.
I think thats the main differences.
If its no trouble, then yes I would go for the Formula.
Sorry the black n red is just too sexy ;)
Here in the UK the Formula is about £20/$30 more expensive than the SZ97, so for me it would be a no brainer if the Formula was cheaper.

JohnMartin7

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014

Yeah I think that the Formula is purely for gaming (features wise) whereas the Sabertooth is mostly durability. Or at least it seems so but I don't know.

JohnMartin7

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014

Ah I see. So you recommend I exchange this for the Formula?

leigh76

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
For $20 is it worth the hassle sending back etc?
You will be happy with either and to be honest I hadnt seen the white z97 before... looks sweet.
But I do own a Formula + 4770k, which is a great combo too.

JohnMartin7

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014

No, the thing is I live not too far from NCIX. Which is where I got my motherboard from. So it'll all be done in a matter of minutes.

leigh76

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Well I can vouch that the Formula is a fantastic board, very nice BIOS, option to watercool mosfets etc built in.
Formula supports faster memory, has M.2 Socket 3, the onboard sound is actually superb for onboard (like the Ranger), built in wifi/bluetooth, debug display.
I think thats the main differences.
If its no trouble, then yes I would go for the Formula.
Sorry the black n red is just too sexy ;)
Here in the UK the Formula is about £20/$30 more expensive than the SZ97, so for me it would be a no brainer if the Formula was cheaper.

Solution

JohnMartin7

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014

Yeah, I like that it has the armor too. I personally loved that on the Sabertooth. I think I'm going to go with the Formula, it's cheaper, has more features, and looks just as good as the Sabertooth if not better. Thanks!