Question Asus Maximus Impact VIII onboard video 4k@60hz

Jul 26, 2020
Hi!! I'm planing to buy a 4k monitor and use it with my desktop (no gaming on this setup, only work), but searching the specifications I found that my Asus Maximus Impact VIII and a i7 6700k (I have no external graphic card) could only deliver 4k @ 30hz and I'm worried that this will be sluggish.

The monitor I'm planning to buy must have an USB Type-C port, for power and video, so I can use it with my notebook too. So I was thinking if it would be possible to use the USB Type-C present on the desktop motherboard to deliver video output to the monitor but I cannot find anywhere the alternate modes for this port.

Have any of you tried this? Do you have any suggestion on how I could achieve 4k @60hz with this setup? I would like to avoid buying a new graphic card if it is possible.

Thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I would ask you to probably see if you can take the system to the showroom if you're buying the display physically) and hook it up to a panel that's on display to know for sure that it's good to go(and that you can tolerate the reduced frame rates). I've had instances where some boards didn't like the display I plugged into...only a handful of them refused to give display to number of displays in spite of the GPU and onboard ports on the motherboard working with other displays.

Make and model of the display? We already know the make and model of the motherboard. Oh, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for the motherboard prior to plugging panels to the onboard.

Jul 26, 2020
Hi!! thanks!
I'm planning to by an LG 32UL750-W or a Dell U2720Q (suggestions are welcomed :) ).

Unfortunately it will not be possible to test it before because I will buy it online.

Jul 26, 2020
Yesterday night I tested the USB-C port with an USB-C Hub that provides an HDMI port (Satechi USB-C Slim V2) and connected it to my desktop and my current monitor (an old LG 23" full HD) and I was not able to make it work. I'm not using the latest BIOS version, but by the release notes it does not seems that there was an update about this subject.

It seems that I will have to buy a graphic card or use it with the 30Hz.