Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z won't post or boot.

jewie27

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
My system was built in November of 2011.
Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z
I5-2500K processor
Corsair H100 AIO
8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz 1.5 volts 9-9-9-24
Corsair Force 3 128GB boot drive
Asus Strix GTX 780 6GB
Windows 10
running latest BIOS on motherboard.

Everything was running fine until yesterday a friend gave me 12GB of 2000 mhz DDR3 for free.
I removed my (4gb x 2 )vengeance 1600 mhz sticks and put in two of the 4GB 2000 mhz modules in the correct spots. It wouldn't boot so I went back to the original RAM to trouble shoot. The monitor kept saying NO DVI. The screen was blank. I tried clearing the CMOS and used the MemOK button to reset the RAM to default. I took out my GTX 780 and tried my spare GTX 750ti instead. I was able to get into the bios on default settings and clicked save/restart. Now the MOBO is giving me error code B2 (Legacy bios) which I don't know what that means. It's also not seeing the boot drive anymore. I can't get into the bios anymore no matter how many times I press delete on the red Asus splash screen. After 2 minutes or so the screen goes black and i see a white blinking cursor on the top left of the screen.

I know my GPU's are both functioning. I had them both running 3 days ago for the past 4 years I've owned them. The GTX 780 is my primary card, the 750ti is the PhysX card only.

During this trouble shooting I only have 1 card installed. I've checked all the cables and power is working fine.

Please advise what I should do. I've been rebooting over and over for the past 2 hours and my system is not booting into windows or letting me get into the bios. I've tried 2 different keyboards and nothing. No other USB devices are connected but the keyboard and mouse.

Solution
Your motherboard has 2 BIOS chips. The message "error code B2 (Legacy bios)" is telling you the board is booting using the 2nd BIOS chip. Try switching to the 1st BIOS chip using the Red BIOS selector button, in the bottom right corner of your motherboard.

Your motherboard has 2 BIOS chips. The message "error code B2 (Legacy bios)" is telling you the board is booting using the 2nd BIOS chip. Try switching to the 1st BIOS chip using the Red BIOS selector button, in the bottom right corner of your motherboard.

Solution