ASUS Maximus IX and CPU installation tool

mrjack2207

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Hi All,

So I've had a prebuilt custom pc for the last 5 years but now im doing my first whole system upgrade, including ram, cpu and board etc.

Im quite confident with all aspects of the upgrade other than the cpu installation as im quite a paranoid person and dont want to mess it up. My question is, is it better to use the installation tool ?, as to put the cpu into the tool you have to push on the gold sockets around the edge of the cpu.

Solution

I looked at the manual for that motherboard and indeed Asus is using a unique socket that has the tool you describe. In looking at the pictures, it appears you have no choice but to use the tool as the socket clamping mechanism is designed for it. The only instructions written say to be sure to use a soft...
Personally I'd never use any tool for CPU installation. If you can plug in a VGA cable in your PC, then you can install the CPU. There is one socket on the motherboard and the CPU can go inside only in the CORRECT way. You will get this notebook:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005762.html
There are 2 pins on the side which won't allow you to place the CPU in any other way, you just open the bracket, place the CPU, close the bracket, put the cooler on top, you can't go wrong.

unclebun

Honorable
Mar 28, 2014
There is no installation tool for the cpu. It's just a regular LGA1151 socket. You unlatch and lift the lever, align the cpu correctly and the cpu drops into place. There is no pushing whatsoever; if you have to push you are doing something wrong. Then you lower the lever and secure it.

mrjack2207

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Sorry didnt make it clear, the motherboard comes with a cpu installation tool, which is what im describing when you have to push the cpu

unclebun

Honorable
Mar 28, 2014

I looked at the manual for that motherboard and indeed Asus is using a unique socket that has the tool you describe. In looking at the pictures, it appears you have no choice but to use the tool as the socket clamping mechanism is designed for it. The only instructions written say to be sure to use a soft stable surface to put the cpu into the frame and to be sure the cpu clicks firmly into place in the tool. I'd suggest the thin piece of nonconductive foam that comes under the motherboard, set on a piece of flat cardboard on a wood table.

Solution