Question Asus Maximus V Extreme UEFI

Feb 25, 2019
I'm hoping I'm posting this in the correct place and let me say thanks for any and all feedback.

In short, I have an Asus Maximus V Extreme and have never used UEFI. This is mainly due to some security concerns that initially surfaced with using UEFI. That said I'm now replacing my old SSD with a new one (sata not m2 as mobo doesn't support m2). I'm looking at using UEFI and am wondering if there is any real benefit to me using UEFI. I'm mainly curios about the performance bump that I've seen people reporting on other forums. It mainly seems as though the biggest benefit comes in the form of faster boot times (which I don't really care about as I seldom have a need to turn my machine off). My dads factory ASUS built core i7 seemingly our performed my machine even though mine had better hardware and the only thing I could attribute that to was it was using UEFI.

Is there any performance bump to be had by going with UEFI and if so is it across the board? -- I've read forums but can't seem to get a straight answer on this one.
I also dual boot windows and linux.

(rough system specs if useful)
Asus Maximus V Extreme
Intel Ivy Bridge i7 3770K
16GB ram
GTX 1070

Thanks again for any and all thoughts and feedback.

karenjoly

Respectable
Apr 13, 2018
No performance affect except in boot times, and that depends on system loads as well. Otherwise, uefi

• Avoids Legacy Option ROM address constraints.
  • Supports operating system boot partitions greater than 2 terabytes in size.
  • PCIe device configuration utilities are integrated with Setup Utility menus.
  • Bootable operating system images will appear in the boot list as labeled entities, for example Windows boot manager label versus raw device labels.
  • Faster booting
  • Efficient power and system ( fault) management
Remember that uefi requires a gpt partition scheme.

Feb 25, 2019
No performance affect except in boot times, and that depends on system loads as well. Otherwise, uefi

• Avoids Legacy Option ROM address constraints.
  • Supports operating system boot partitions greater than 2 terabytes in size.
  • PCIe device configuration utilities are integrated with Setup Utility menus.
  • Bootable operating system images will appear in the boot list as labeled entities, for example Windows boot manager label versus raw device labels.
  • Faster booting
  • Efficient power and system ( fault) management
Remember that uefi requires a gpt partition scheme.
Thanks for the response and feedback!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS