Asus Maximus V Formula with i5 3570K

RavenRM

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013
Howzit gents. so i purchased this mobo and i have had the i5 3570k for a while now. Today I ran prime95 for about 40min and the mobo temp went up to 60'C(degrees Celsius) and the cpu was 40'C on 3.8Ghz. any ideas why this mobo got that hot?

My build is the NZXT Phantom 820, Huntkey 700W PSU i5 and v formula running a H100i cooler from corsair 16GB of Apacer RAM and a GTX460 with 3x 2TB HDD's, 2x 1TB HDD's and a 500GB HDD..

Solution
Yes but you went for a proper liquid cooler so all that air flow over the voltage regulators ect ect has gone. Best thing is to get a nice big side fan a blow air right onto the mobo or upgrade your front and rear fans to give a nice push pull con-fig. But before that get a house fan open the side of your case and blow in directly on to the mobo and run the test again. if you see a drop of 5c or more I was right if not then it is something else.

RavenRM

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013

If that is the case then its just stupid. I mean you would think going for a proper cooler on the CPU would make things easier only to find out that now your motherboard doesn't get sufficient airflow to cool it down..

What to do now?

ssimpss

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Yes but you went for a proper liquid cooler so all that air flow over the voltage regulators ect ect has gone. Best thing is to get a nice big side fan a blow air right onto the mobo or upgrade your front and rear fans to give a nice push pull con-fig. But before that get a house fan open the side of your case and blow in directly on to the mobo and run the test again. if you see a drop of 5c or more I was right if not then it is something else.

Solution

RavenRM

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013

ssimpss i thank you kindly good sir =) I will do that as soon as i get home from work (2hours time) then i will get back to you..

RavenRM

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013

ssimpss thank you very much. The temps are much better and obviously you were right. Prime95 ran for an hour CPU temp 34'C and Motherboard 25'C. I have the Corsair H100i setup at the top of the case where 2x 200mm NZXT fans pull the air from outside of the case inwards and the two corsair fans on the other side of the radiator pull aswell into the case where a Shark Black edition exhaust fan pulls the hot air out. In front i have the 200mm NZXT fan also pulling air from outside inwards onto the HDD's and then there is another fan behind the HDD's pushing the air upwards to the exhaust. I still have space for a side panel fan 200mm will another NZXT 200mm be efficient or is there a higher RPM 200mm fan out there i can install?

Once again thank you

ssimpss

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Its not so much about a large number of fans but more about the air all moving in one direction. You would be astounded at the number of people who if they put in a simple front back or bottom top air flow, would get far better results. But the system you have got sounds best for a air/water cooled rig. Air in from the top and front and air out the back. A side fan could mess this up. So if your getting 35 off the mobo with the current set up I would not touch it.