Asus Maximus VI Gene 99 error code

moosh151

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
So I recently acquired a build from a friend of mine. It booted fine the day I went to get it, however he kept his hard drives and GPU. Some fans needed replaced and I cleaned off the CPU and put new thermal paste on. I just booted it up and got the error 99 code. It isn't outputting any video to my monitor (connected to the mobo with hdmi). There still isn't a HDD in it so I don't know if that would cause the code or not, I just wanted to see if it would post before I went out to buy a 500GB SSD and GPU. How do I fix an error 99 code? I already checked and made sure all the connections were good, and pulled and reseated all the RAM.

Build:
Asus Maximus VI Gene
Intel i7-4770K
G.Skill RipJaw X Series RAM 32GB
Diamond AMD Radeon HD 7970
Corsair AX860 860W PSU

Solution
Oh, moosh, I just found out your problem. You are plugging the HDMI cable into the motherboard instead of the GPU. At least, that is one thing you are doing wrong. There may still be a problem but first plug the video cable into the GPU, not the motherboard.
Hi moosh151 :) Unfortunately Qcode 99 is a big flag and can be one of many things.

Qcode 99 is "Super IO Initialization" and IO meaning anything connected to the board by any interface is not initializing.
If you have just aquired the system, then it is saying a device is not connected properly or there is a lack of power to a device causing the IO error.

First check all cables and components are seated flush and level and aligned in parallel with Pci-e slots and your DIMMs seated correctly.

Should the condition continue, you will have to Bench test outside the case

Having reread your post, It is because you have no HDD or SSD installed.

Having no hard drive or SSD connected would not restrict your computer from posting or entering the BIOS.

<MOD EDIT: Removed Personal attack. Before you jump down someones throat- from the OP: "It isn't outputting any video to my monitor">

If the system will not post and stops on Qcode 99 then being able to access Bios would not help anyway.
I am trying to identify the hardware issue as it could be a MB hardware fault.

<MOD EDIT>

Anyway @moosh here is a very similar thread you may want to look at, same situation: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1982198/boot-device-led-error-code-bios-update-asus-motherboard.html

Have you tried updating or re-flashing your Bios.
This is not recommended if your system is running fine due to the risk involved, however it could resolve your problem.
Check your Bios version and go to ASUS support to see if there is a Bios update.

He is not getting any video output, so accessing the BIOS to flash it is not possible. :)

Also moosh check out this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2748183/code-super-initialization-fix.html - try resetting the CMOS and reseating RAM, and the video card.

With no HDD or SSD, post would almost certainly thro up a Qcode 99 barring any other hardware fault.

<MOD EDIT>

A hard drive or solid state drive is not at all a requirement to get a POST screen or access the BIOS. I have gone BIOSs before without any storage connected to my system.

Oh, moosh, I just found out your problem. You are plugging the HDMI cable into the motherboard instead of the GPU. At least, that is one thing you are doing wrong. There may still be a problem but first plug the video cable into the GPU, not the motherboard.

Solution
MeanMachine41 does not make personal attacks and if a comment has been construed this way then I apologize.

The Maximus vi Gene has both iGPU via HDMI and GPU capability. Configuration for this is normally set to AUTO in Bios.
Of course the OP can change this setting in Bios to force connection to dedicated PCIe GPU with the correct cable connection.
This is IF the Bios can be accessed.
To determine if a monitor is at fault it is best to Swap the monitor with a known working unit or test it on another PC.
I cannot see a connection between Qcode 99 as being the result of a connection to iGPU. If someone has evidence of this I for one would like to know.

Also FYI: I believe It is possible to update or flash the Bios without accessing Bios on the Maximus VI GENE.
The Maximus VI GENE is equipped with ROG Connection port on the IO panel.
I am not 100% sure IF this is available as is with the Formula version of his MB and would advise the OP to check this method out. Consult your manual or contact ASUS support.
If indeed this method is available then I can assist in this regard too.

This is for both of you

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

This has been a standard feature on most all of Asus high end boards since 2012 so pretty much any RoG board has this. It is Asus version of a BIOS backup instead of a dual BIOS like others have. You don;t even need a CPU to be able to do it as it has its own self contained system to do it so it is possible to re-flash the BIOS even with no video output.