[SOLVED] Asus Maximus VI Hero Bios USB Flashback problems

Judahhjayy

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
sooo.. i’ve looked through several forums and videos and i feel like including either missing something or i’m just not finding the direct answer to my issue all together.
i recently purchased a used but perfectly working ASUS Maximus VI Hero motherboard to hopefully fix a different issue i was having. the cpu i have now is the 4790k. i didn’t do my research at first and installed all parts to see if it works and no post. finding out it’s possibly a matter of bios version being too early and needs to be updated so i uses the bios flashback function on the motherboard. i only have 2 subs at my disposal at the moment , one of them being 2.0 and the other 3.0. i have tried versions 1504 beta version of the bios up to the latest bios and i’m not getting any success. i understand the procedure for flashback and i believe i have everything correct and the result i get after holding down the bios flashback button; it blinks 3-4 times then stays a solid blue along w the bios led on mobo stays red.
i need help trying to figure out the bios isn’t updating and further more why it stays a solid color. i know to 2 main reasons are usb stick and maybe corrupt bios? and if that’s the case how to fix that? by getting a bios chips?
several questions i know but i just want to get this thing working. if you want any other info just ask.

Solution
Just to recap Judahhjayy

The flashback button stays lit if there is a problem with the USB, not formatted correctly or the file is not named correctly.
Once the Bios update is installed on the USB, It should be renamed to M6H.CAP
The USB should be empty and formatted to FAT32, Single partition.

There is no Bios_Led however a red Led indicates a problem with the CPU if the corresponding CPU_LED is flashing during Post. The two issues are unrelated and the Red flashing LED must be fixed or post will not advance.

Hope this helps.

Lutfij

Titan
What do you mean by this?
i recently purchased a used but perfectly working ASUS Maximus VI Hero motherboard to hopefully fix a different issue i was having.

Did you inspect your CPU socket for bent/broken CPU socket pins? You might also want to include your full system's specs, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

When you bought the board, did you ask to verify which version of the BIOS it had? You should also use a FAT32 formatted USB stick with the .ROM/BIOS file in the root directory.

Judahhjayy

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

Just to recap Judahhjayy

The flashback button stays lit if there is a problem with the USB, not formatted correctly or the file is not named correctly.
Once the Bios update is installed on the USB, It should be renamed to M6H.CAP
The USB should be empty and formatted to FAT32, Single partition.

There is no Bios_Led however a red Led indicates a problem with the CPU if the corresponding CPU_LED is flashing during Post. The two issues are unrelated and the Red flashing LED must be fixed or post will not advance.

Hope this helps.

Solution