Asus MAXIMUS VI HERO -VS- Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H

Alex Leyzar

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I need a new MB, and after some research i came up with these two.
I will be using a i5 4670 k , 8 gb @1600 corsair , HD 7950, SSD 840 pro 128 gb, Case is a HAF XM. PSU 700 W Seasonic
Now... from what people say ASUS has amazing fan control, but i see it has only 8+2 phases , the ud5h having 16!? and more fan headers.
Also the UD5H has a legacy PCI-E on witch i can use my older sound card witch is a creative x-fi fatality gamer pro extreme something etc with the front panel witch i never use biggrin.gif. Now i don't mind not using this sound card if the on-board audio of the Asus is good, like they say it is.
I will OC my components using either of these 2 mobos.
So..what would you buy ? and why ? (other explained recommendations are more then welcomed)

Solution
for a entire build, id rather get this
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1jJh7

as for the boards, the gigabyte uses better components overall. i can however tell you that the gigabyte is not a true 16 phase design, but a 8 phase on a doubler. for a board, id rather recommend a z87x-d3h or a ud3h depending how many sata ports you want. they cost a lot less but perform just as well.

asus in this generation is out of the question for me. their boards are overpriced yet they have no where near the same quality for a given price. yes they have some better software, but the odds are you dont use it more than once in the first place so why pay more for something that you barely use
for a entire build, id rather get this
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1jJh7

as for the boards, the gigabyte uses better components overall. i can however tell you that the gigabyte is not a true 16 phase design, but a 8 phase on a doubler. for a board, id rather recommend a z87x-d3h or a ud3h depending how many sata ports you want. they cost a lot less but perform just as well.

asus in this generation is out of the question for me. their boards are overpriced yet they have no where near the same quality for a given price. yes they have some better software, but the odds are you dont use it more than once in the first place so why pay more for something that you barely use

Solution

Alex Leyzar

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

Im confused ... so the ud5h dosent rly use 16 phases...
The difference between d3h and ud3h is just .... sata ports ? that's it ? :|
I just want a good MB for my new rig... are you sure there isant something better then the UD3H/D3H ?
Im ok with ASUS and Gigabyte , dont want MSI or ASROCK ...

most boards use a doubler to market the increased number of phases

yeah, there isnt much different from the d3h and the ud3h other than the sata ports and maybe 2 fewer usb3 ports

msi boards this gen are pretty good. however i just dont tend to recommend them that much