Asus Maximus VII Formula AE Q-Code Error, Slow Boot

tramik

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Frequently, when booting, my computer lingers at the Windows 10 logo for a whole minute, then goes to the desktop. This might not seem like an issue, but I use a Samsung 850 Pro, and usually my boot times are about 12 seconds. It doesn’t always happen, but seems to be pretty frequent.

During this period I noticed my motherboard (Asus Maximus VII Formula) is displaying a AE Q-Code, which is for “Legacy Boot Mode”. I’ll go over everything I’ve tried so far.

BIOS: As for the BIOS, I’ve loaded optimized defaults and flashed the BIOS with the newest firmware off Asus site. Lowered my RAM clock speed to 1333, and although I thought the issue went away, it still occurred eventually. I only have one HDD (my SSD) and that’s set as boot option 1. I even hooked up a USB drive and disabled the secondary boot options, in case something was happening I couldn’t see. I don’t even have an optical drive to remove. I also tried tweaking the CMS and Fast Boot options off/on. Made no difference.

Memory: My RAM is manually clocked at 2400, but even at 1333 it still occurred. I’ve ran Memtest86 and the tests came back fine. I’ve also re-seated my RAM sticks.

HDD: Ran both Samsung’s Magician and CrystalDisk checks, and they all came back fine. I changed SATA cables and SATA ports on the Mobo.

Drivers: All my drivers, so far as I can tell, are up to date. There are no unidentified devices in the Device Manager. I have two GTX 980 which always are updated as well. I've run GPU benchmarks and they work fine under stress.

Windows: I’ve tried turning off/on Fast Boot. I’ve reinstalled the OS – twice.

Other than this boot issue, everything else works fine. When it does boot right, it’s super quick. I can game hard… all my temperatures are really good.

I feel like I’ve exhausted everything… any ideas would be great.

Solution
it may not be the mb but it may be to many usb devices plugged in at boot and pulling more power then the usb port can take. try making sure any ext drives are off and only the mouse and keyboard are on. if you have a sound card or a 3 party card see if it in a slot that share the video irq of the main video slot.
it may not be the mb but it may be to many usb devices plugged in at boot and pulling more power then the usb port can take. try making sure any ext drives are off and only the mouse and keyboard are on. if you have a sound card or a 3 party card see if it in a slot that share the video irq of the main video slot.

Solution

tramik

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010

RM1000

No external drives, and no third party sounds cards. I just use the onboard 7.1/optical outputs.

It's interesting you mention about a USB device drawing too much power, though. I have a XB270HU monitor - I've connected my Razor Naga to my Razor Blackwindow keyboard, and the keyboard to the monitor. The monitor then runs a USB cable to my PC. Looks good for cable management, but could this be causing the problem? And if so, is there a work around?

tramik

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010

I moved my mouse to another USB interface and will test it for a bit. I also read USB 3.0 has a higher power threshold, so if that does turn out to be the issue, just changing it to a USB 3.0 spot might work.

I'll keep in touch.

tramik

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
It happened again this morning. The weird thing was though, the lingering at the logo wasn't remotely as long, maybe 10 seconds. Of course during a proper boot the logo is there about 2 seconds.

I'm suspecting it's the USB connection from the monitor that's still causing it, so when I get home today I'm removing it and plugging both my keyboard and mouse directly to the back of my PC.

I think when the monitor boots with the PC, it does a large power draw over the USB. I'll test it further.

tramik

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010

Ever since bypasses my monitor via usb, the issue has been resolved.

TRENDING THREADS