[SOLVED] ASUS Maximus VIII hero and WB BLUE SN500

Dec 17, 2020
Hi,

I have a Max viii hero mobo which has one M.2 slot.
I bought a WB Blue SN550 NVMe SSD and installed it.

When I go into my bios (which is the latest one) I don't seem to find any reference to M.2, only SATA. I cannot find my SSD, and it does not show up in Windows (10 64bit).

Is there something I am overlooking?

I checked PCPARTPICKER and it does seem compatible ...

Can anyone help me with my problem, Thanks!

Palorim12

Distinguished
Hi,

I have a Max viii hero mobo which has one M.2 slot.
I bought a WB Blue SN550 NVMe SSD and installed it.

When I go into my bios (which is the latest one) I don't seem to find any reference to M.2, only SATA. I cannot find my SSD, and it does not show up in Windows (10 64bit).

Is there something I am overlooking?

I checked PCPARTPICKER and it does seem compatible ...

Can anyone help me with my problem, Thanks!
Do you have the most up to date BIOS installed? Looking at your motherboard, the M.2 slot supports both SATA and PCIE mode, so there has to be a option somewhere in the BIOS to switch between the two modes. For NVME, you need to make sure its in PCIE mode.

Dec 17, 2020
Do you have the most up to date BIOS installed? Looking at your motherboard, the M.2 slot supports both SATA and PCIE mode, so there has to be a option somewhere in the BIOS to switch between the two modes. For NVME, you need to make sure its in PCIE mode.
Hi, thx for your reply.
Yes I did a flash check and it says it 'the latest BIOS is already installed'.
Problem is, I really don't see any mention of M.2 in my BIOS. So I would not know where to change SATA to PCIE.
Any ideas?

Palorim12

Distinguished
Hi, thx for your reply.
Yes I did a flash check and it says it 'the latest BIOS is already installed'.
Problem is, I really don't see any mention of M.2 in my BIOS. So I would not know where to change SATA to PCIE.
Any ideas?
Go into the BIOS and go to the Advanced tab and take a picture and post, its been a while since I navigated Asus BIOS screens.

Dec 17, 2020
87GVmR8.jpg
Qk40qFo.jpg
MaWkldw.jpg

Dec 17, 2020
I tried this. Unfortunately, it said 'something' about M.2, but it didn't show up mu actual SSD in Windows. Is it ok if I sent you a screenshot? Maybe you will see what (setting) I still miss ...

Many thanks for your help!

Palorim12

Distinguished
This happens when I change it.
When I reboot afterwards, windows doesn't load ... I have to set it back ...
j301vzD.jpg
DnjDuiG.jpg
That's cuz you haven't prepped Windows 10 for the Switch from AHCI to RAID, they utilize different boot drivers.

1. Run MSCONFIG
  2. Enable Safe Boot (minimal)
  3. Reboot into UEFI/BIOS and change to RAID
  4. Boot up into safe mode
  5. Run MSCONFIG and disable Safe Boot.
  6. Reboot

Reactions: calvhob
Dec 17, 2020
Thanks! This got me a bit further, as in it boots again.
While booting, it show my 2 other physical disk as non-raid and gives me the ctrl I option to change that.
But unfortunately, it does not show up in Windows.

One place in does show up is in the BIOS, in the boot sequence (WDC WDS...).
I send you some more screenshots.

Your help is really very much appreciated!!!
vF8JFD2.jpg
fEpxKfs.jpg
eJROSnM.jpg

Palorim12

Distinguished
Thanks! This got me a bit further, as in it boots again.
While booting, it show my 2 other physical disk as non-raid and gives me the ctrl I option to change that.
But unfortunately, it does not show up in Windows.

One place in does show up is in the BIOS, in the boot sequence (WDC WDS...).
I send you some more screenshots.

Your help is really very much appreciated!!!
vF8JFD2.jpg
fEpxKfs.jpg
eJROSnM.jpg
ok, so, new SSDs are unintialized, so you have to go into Windows Disk Management to Initialize and format it.

Press Windows key + X and select Disk Management from the menu that comes up above the start button.

Dec 17, 2020
You're a genius!

Do I have to choose MBR (Master Boot Record) or GPT. Windows is already installed on another small SSD.

Afterwards, is there an option to get rid of the screen which asks me on startup to to set a RAID (middle screenshot above).

Sorry to ask so many questions, thought is was more straightforward than this ...

Palorim12

Distinguished
You're a genius!

Do I have to choose MBR (Master Boot Record) or GPT. Windows is already installed on another small SSD.

Afterwards, is there an option to get rid of the screen which asks me on startup to to set a RAID (middle screenshot above).

Sorry to ask so many questions, thought is was more straightforward than this ...
I'm not entirely sure about how to get rid of the RAID screen on boot, as i don't mess with RAID stuff, maybe someone else on the forum might know.

I'd set to GPT, but if this is just gonna be secondary, don't really matter.