Status
Not open for further replies.

Linally

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
So I have been running a system on an Asus Maximus VIII Ranger for some time with no issues. Recently I decided to upgrade some so I replaced my old 1060 6GB GPU with a 1080ti and after that I bought a G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB) (F4-3200C15D-32GTZ) set to upgrade the RAM. I checked with the manufacturer and this specific RAM set is supported by both my MB and my CPU (I am using an Intel i5 6600K).
I had been using Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2x4) using slots A1 and B1 with no issues. Thing is when I tried to replace the ram modules using the exact same slots PC would not boot and it gives me error code 55 (memory problem).
Only way system boots is if I use them on slots B1 and B2, but it still will give me the occasional error 55 or 00 once every 5-6 boot attempts, and it fixes itself with a reboot. I have tried to put the old RAM on but the problem still exists.
I am guessing the dual channel mode doesn't work with this configuration so I should be losing out on some performance from there, but I guess there are other detriments to this patchwork solution.
Is there something I can do to fix this? I heard that a few people have the same problem but I have not found a concrete solution.

Any suggestion is welcome!

Solution
I'd suggest doing a bios update, then Clear CMOS after the update to wipe everything. Then try the DIMMS again.

After bios update/clear CMOS, try setting the mem (in the bios) to run in XMP mode. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Linally

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
I did a bios update, cleared the CMOS and re-inserted the DIMMS and activated XMP profile.

On a positive note I am no longer getting any error when the DIMMS are in slots B1 and B2, system works just fine with no issues (except for the fact that I can not get the ram speed over 1600mhz, which as I am informed is due to the fact that the DIMMS are not in their recommended slots, namely A2/B2 regardless of any adjustments I make ( i activate xmp profile 3200 and in the bios setup it shows as 3200, but when I boot in windows any sensor program shows it at 1600 (CPU-Z, speccy, CrystalCPUID etc))).

I think the problem might have been caused when I had a liquid cooler installed at a tech store, and the tech there over-tightened the cooler on the backplate. Could that result in damage for the mobo, and if yes is it reparable or would I need to look at a replacement? CPU slot doesn't have any obviously disfigured, bent or otherwise affected pins, and the CPU itself doesn't seem curved).

Last edited:
1600MHz is correct, DDR4-3200

CPUz and similar software that show 'MHz' will be half of the DDR frequency. If you use a benchmark test like AIDA64 then it will show ~DDR4-3200.

The RAM should work in slots A2 B2

Sounds like the CPU installation may be causing issues. Too tight or too loose can cause similar memory issues, so you'll want to double check tension and also make sure all pins are flawless. Any slight change can cause strange problems.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I did a bios update, cleared the CMOS and re-inserted the DIMMS and activated XMP profile.

On a positive note I am no longer getting any error when the DIMMS are in slots B1 and B2, system works just fine with no issues (except for the fact that I can not get the ram speed over 1600mhz, which as I am informed is due to the fact that the DIMMS are not in their recommended slots, namely A2/B2 regardless of any adjustments I make ( i activate xmp profile 3200 and in the bios setup it shows as 3200, but when I boot in windows any sensor program shows it at 1600 (CPU-Z, speccy, CrystalCPUID etc))).

I think the problem might have been caused when I had a liquid cooler installed at a tech store, and the tech there over-tightened the cooler on the backplate. Could that result in damage for the mobo, and if yes is it reparable or would I need to look at a replacement? CPU slot doesn't have any obviously disfigured, bent or otherwise affected pins, and the CPU itself doesn't seem curved).

1600 = 3200 DDR (double data rate). That's how it's reported. It's normal.

So are all issues resolved now?

Linally

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
No, slots A1/A2 are still non-functional. PC won't post if any dimm is on either slot.

I was told by a tech it is indeed damage caused during the cooler installation, although i cannot for the life of me figure how this could be (pins all there check, CPU not curved check, no scratches, cracks or anything check).
I picked up a brand new Ryzen 7 2700X for 55$ during an ebay clearance sale so I will be switching over to that (against my better judgment) and will probably go for an x470 mobo.

Thank you

Reactions: BlazeJ

Linally

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
I was thinking some seller got hacked at first but since the trade was covered by ebay insurance I thought "screw it, give it a try", but I haven't gotten a message so far and it has been almost 3 days. Fingers crossed!

Linally

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
Unfortunately it was indeed a hacked account :(

On the plus side I got a refund plus an extra 20$ because the seller was late to report the compromised account. Came out ahead by 20$ but still feel like I lost...

I decided to wait for the 3xxx series and see what price range they end up in.

Status
Not open for further replies.