Question ASUS Maximus XI ROG Gene does not boot: Q-Code A2, white led and green led underneath

Dec 24, 2019
Hey there everyone,

See two replies underneath for an update.

Recently bought a couple of parts to assemble a brand new PC, which worked fine for about 3 days. Used it for some high-end gaming, browsing, and build-processes. I've run Core Temp in the task-bar, which always resulted in temperatures between 30~60 degrees celcius.

Here are all the parts:
  • Intel Core i9-9900KS 4000 1151V2
  • Noctua NH U14S CPU cooling
  • Gigabyte PSU GP-G750H 750W
  • Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3466
  • Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE
  • NVidia RTX 2080 Ti
  • 2x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB
It crashed while I was browsing and watching Netflix, while being on for most of the day. Tried turning it back on again, after which it crashed during boot, before showing me any seemingly windows-related processes on-screen. This happened a few times, but I also encountered a blue screen of death while trying to boot: whea_uncorrectable_error, which could indicate that there is a hardware issue.

I've removed all parts besides the RAM, PSU, CPU and its (non-stock) cooling.

I've flashed the BIOS to its latest version, which got me into windows at one point, but it BSOD'd before I could enter my credentials.

I've reset CMOS several times during the process, but it seems to no avail. At no point did I change any settings to overclock any part of the system.

Removing the RAM sticks (either one, or both) gives me the Q-error 53, which forum posts have indicated that I should insert RAM, meaning the cards probably don't work apart from each other.

I've reseated the CPU as well, no pins seem to be bent. The cooling paste seemed to be spread out to the outer parts of the top, so I've tried attaching the heatsink less tightly, even though the original wasn't set tight at all..

I'm hoping any of you have an idea I could still try out. I'm running out of them, to be honest. I have a reasonably recent PC that I might be able to exchange parts with, to see if they're broken.. Gonna exchange them while this thread is up, update the thread if I have an answer.

Overview of the error codes I've had (search results indicate various hardware problems):
  • BSOD IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL
  • BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
  • Q-Code 71/18/19/09
Hope y'all have a better end of the year.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019
I've corrected some stuff, pushed in DRAM slightly better, changed the CPU fan cable to the right one (was in AIO pump, and connected the ATX cable back to its original one, I currently get a constant error code: A2. No screen still, green and white led are on underneath it now. The white LED seemingly seems "VGA" according to the manual, and the green one is "BOOT". Some forum thread suggested clearing CMOS, which didn't work (nor did using another battery which I've found in another motherboard). I've reattached almost all of my components (besides one SSD), same result. I could still get a known-good battery and see if that works?

Dec 24, 2019
After attaching a different monitor and using onboard HDMI (disconnected my GPU), I got video output again. A2, green led, so I decided to attach the bootable SSD, and it crashed during windows. Now I'm getting error code 09 again :/

TRENDING THREADS