Asus MB M5A78L-M/USB3, ps2 mouse not detected

booster22

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
Asus MB M5A78L-M/USB3, combined ps2 for keyboard & mouse BUT only keyboard working, ps2 mouse not detected. Tried BIOS updation, still single ps2 port is not running ps2 mouse, but can run ps2 keyboard.

Other specs:-

CPU - AMD FX6300
MB - Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
Memory - 2*4GB (8GB) DDR3 Kingston HyperX 1866 FSB
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1.

Please provide a solution to this problem.

booster22

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014

First of all, Thanks for the reply.

No, ps2 mouse was not seen in the device manager. And yes, I did try it with another ps2 mouse, but to no avail.

Here is what worked for me. Hope it helps others too.

What I noticed was that the device manager was reading both the mice as a ps2 keyboard???? However I'm using a wireless keyboard connected through USB.

So, I disconnected the mouse & device manager stopped showing ps2 keyboard. Then, I went into the BIOS settings, Power --> APM Configuration --> Power on with PS2 mouse --> enabled. Saved the settings. On reboot, it identified ps2 mouse as such and not as a ps2 keyboard. And my mouse was working again.

Before this, I had also tried to just reboot after disconnecting the mouse. In that case, device manager stopped showing ps2 keyboard (ps2 mouse that was being read as ps2 keyboard by the device manager). Then I shut the system down and reconnected the ps2 mouse BUT it did not work.As soon as windows loaded, it again identified the mouse as ps2 keyboard and installed drivers for it.

So, enabling "power on with ps2 mouse" in BIOS settings, after disconnecting the mouse and rebooting worked for me.
However, I later disabled the same option, but even now, my mouse works just fine.

Cheers guys.

booster22

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
Here is what worked for me. Hope it helps others too.

What I noticed was that the device manager was reading both the mice as a ps2 keyboard???? However I'm using a wireless keyboard connected through USB.

So, I disconnected the mouse & device manager stopped showing ps2 keyboard. Then, I went into the BIOS settings, Power --> APM Configuration --> Power on with PS2 mouse --> enabled. Saved the settings. On reboot, it identified ps2 mouse as such and not as a ps2 keyboard. And my mouse was working again.

Before this, I had also tried to just reboot after disconnecting the mouse. In that case, device manager stopped showing ps2 keyboard (ps2 mouse that was being read as ps2 keyboard by the device manager). Then I shut the system down and reconnected the ps2 mouse BUT it did not work.As soon as windows loaded, it again identified the mouse as ps2 keyboard and installed drivers for it.

So, enabling "power on with ps2 mouse" in BIOS settings, after disconnecting the mouse and rebooting worked for me.
However, I later disabled the same option, but even now, my mouse works just fine.

Cheers guys.

booster22

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
I'm again stuck with the same issue and now my ps2 mouse is being identified as a ps2 keyboard only. Please help. It looks like my earlier solution was a temporary one, or rather not a solution at all.

Need help guys. Please.

booster22

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014

I did try this, and it works for that particular start up, or may be a few more times.
But after 2-3 boots or so, my BIOS as well as windows identify the ps2 mouse in the combo ps2 port as ps2 keyboard, and then windows installs the drivers for the ps2 keyboard, and my ps2 mouse stops functioning.

Then I have to shut it down, remove the ps2 mouse and boot, then BIOS does not show any ps2 keyboard or mouse. Then after start up, I shut down again, re-insert the ps2 mouse in the combo ps2 port, and when I start it up, BIOS as well as Windows identify it as a ps2 mouse. And my mouse works. And this lasts for about 2-3 more boots (max). Then suddenly, BIOS identifies ps2 mouse as a ps2 keyboard and I'm forced to repeat the above said process to bring my mouse back to life.

I don't have a clue why this is happening or how to rectify it.
Please help.

Mar 27, 2019
I know it is a very old thread, but I have the same problem... I have the same mobo and the newest bios version and my mouse is not detected in the PS2 port...

Have you fixed this problem?

I can't use USB because it is a KVM IP switch, and I have only a PS/2 SIP cable.

Last edited: