Frozen Fractal

Reputable
May 17, 2015
Sooooo, ASUS is in both G-Sync & FreeSync waters now. Great for everyone :D

Nice, waiting for a comparison review between the "P" & the "M" :p

Jerahmia Wood

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
Ill never use a crap TN+Film panel when there are 144Hz VA/IPS (and those based on them) panels avalable with 4ms responce times available for not much more and youd be hard pressed noticing the differance between 4ms and 1ms (or anything less than 8ms g-g anyway) and the increased color accuracy and near-unlimited viewing angles are more than worth the tradeoff in a few ms of responce time. TN+film is too early 2000s and it about time for it to be phased out, havent owned a TN+film since 2004 and ill never go back. more marketing gimmiks.

pills161

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Ill never use a crap TN+Film panel when there are 144Hz VA/IPS blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

You know that not everybody has jumped on the IPS bandwagon and that some TN panels aren't THAT bad right? You know that no matter what makes an IPS panel better than a TN that there is still a market for TN and people/gamers who would prefer the faster response time and don't care about color reproduction or being able to view the screen from every angle imaginable, right? Both panels have benefits and drawbacks over the other, so you pick the one that works best for your needs/budget and use it, not jump on your high horse and pretend you know what you are talking about. So you haven't owned a TN screen since 2004, well congrats I have a cookie here for ya.

TeamColeINC

Reputable
May 6, 2014
After the large number of bad reviews for the MG279Q (apparently some pretty bad QA), I think I'll be going with BenQ for my 144Hz freesync monitor.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I have a hard time getting excited about this when the XB270HU exists.

To Pills161, the longer we waste time on TN panels the longer it's going to take for manufacturers to reduce the latency on IPS. We need all the competition in the IPS market as we can get.

As soon as IPS comes down in price and reaches 2ms levels, TN will be pretty much dead.

It takes a lot of GPU power to run 1440p at 120-144fps. My SLI 970s are overclocked to 980 speeds and I'm nowhere near getting 120-144fps in games, and only a few I get that in max frames with all quality sliders out and 2xAA. Currently I'm running my Dell U2713H 60Hz monitor at 80Hz and capping V-sync at 80 for the optimal smoothness. Project Cars even dips down into the 60s in the rain with a lot of traffic (but man does it look GOOD).

Ill never use a crap TN+Film panel when there are 144Hz VA/IPS (and those based on them) panels avalable with 4ms responce times available for not much more and youd be hard pressed noticing the differance between 4ms and 1ms (or anything less than 8ms g-g anyway) and the increased color accuracy and near-unlimited viewing angles are more than worth the tradeoff in a few ms of responce time. TN+film is too early 2000s and it about time for it to be phased out, havent owned a TN+film since 2004 and ill never go back. more marketing gimmiks.

You, sir, have a lot to learn about monitors....I suggest starting with TFTcentral.

IPS is great for still images, not quite as much for moving ones (i.e. games). Ghosting and motion blur (among other things) on IPS panels is noticeably worse than TN, (which itself is worse than CRT....we still don't have a technology that tops CRT for motion clarity).

TN isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Xorak

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
I think this will be a good buy for your typical gamer only if it is priced well below the 279Q. I own the MG279Q and it's really good. My one and only gripe with it is that I would have liked more precise sharpness control, and for sharpness to be unlocked in the only usable mode of the 6 offered, which is racing mode. But this really isn't a deal breaker. Many will point at the max 90hz refresh rate with freesync as a major draw back on paper. In reality, you likely aren't pushing those kind of numbers much of the time in a modern game. Also, freesync makes anything above 45 or so fps look liquid smooth, never mind 90. Trying to push any higher frankly seems like a waste of power and heat to me.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Have you seen this monitor yet? Just wondering because you'd be very impressed an IPS is doing better than TN atm.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

Section: Display Comparisons/Motion Blur.

Not sure what you're trying to point out...The Predator is the apex of IPS monitors, you can't generalize about IPS or TN from that. The NIssan GTR is faster than some porches, but it doesn't mean Nissans are faster on average.

Also, The predator has worse motion blur and response time than the Asus ROG TN panel. In addition, ULMB tends not to functon at the same time as GSYNC/Freesync.

IPS is nce (I'm actually using a 120hz 1440 IPS right now), but there are trade offs from TN that don't seem to be going away. Both IPS and TN are mature technologies that only see incremental improvement with each new product. Unless there's a major, unforeseen breakthrough, or an altogether new type of panel that is clearly superior to both, the back and forth for gaming will continue.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What do i mean? you saying IPS is only great for still images, now that's generalising. Course i can generalise lol the team IPS is in front even if it's the apex, isn't that a benchmark?
And you saying worse is over generalising as well :) The swift is only marginally quicker, much better terms than worse which sounds it being quite bad.

All things considered we felt that the Acer XB270HU performed the best in these specific tests. The response times were slightly slower than the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q and BenQ XL2720Z, but the benefit of that was that there was no overshoot on the Acer, whereas the others showed some moderate levels.

I like your car scenario but things change just like monitors. The GTR when it came out shamed not some but most Porches. Different story now though, the GTR hype has been squashed by Porsche. And pretty sure Acer will too as all things are try made better.

No. I said:
IPS is great for still images, not quite as much for moving ones (i.e. games)
which is absolutely true. You're equating "not as good" with "not good at all".

In all those tests, the Predator did slightly worse than the ROG, except for picture quality and viewing angle. I'd include motion blur in that, but if you notice TFTcentral performed the motion blur test with ULMB on, which is a bit useless for most gamers, since the predator can't use ULMB and Adaptive sync at the same time.

The point was, and still is, TN isn't going anywhere.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Geek talk central here lol. Pretty sure no one will notice any blur with any of the displays tested there playing any game. We're talking over super micro image trails you'll never ever notice.

With Acer bring out IPS with 144Hz, All the monitor makers will do the same because its the 'in' thing before VA finally arrives when ever that will be. If more monitor's come out with IPS and 144Hz and the market swings that way (Just like the Plasma vs LCD days - plasma was superior but had flaws albeit ready to improve - although potential was there, the market went LCD) and saying that, I wouldn't hold your breath on TN. It had it's use, but as attractive an IPS is now, TN wont last with that competition. I give it a few more years then it will join the days of CRT and Plasma.

Jerahmia Wood

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015

Right.

Maybe I have superman eyes, but I notice the difference. Many other gamers agree with me.

IPS has improved it's response time/motion blur/ghosting issues at the same rate that TN has improved it's image quality and viewing angle. Both technologies are pretty long in the tooth (IPS was developed only a couple years after TN - both in the 90's), and the rate of improvement on each has slowed.

If something is going to replace TN, it'll be something completely new and it will likely replace IPS as well.

*edit* at that point, IPS is more likely to disappear than TN...TN will possibly stick around in low end monitors and budget gaming monitors, being cheaper to produce than IPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.