[SOLVED] ASUS mini pc (PB50) Bricked After Bios Upd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2022
Hey, all! I am new here as you can probably see. I looked for a new members thread, but couldn't find one. I'll gladly post there if one of you can post a link. Also; if this is the wrong place for this just let me know.

Anyway. Recently I updated a friend's Windows to make sure he was on the up and up. Like a dummy I saw a 'motherboard update' for his ASUS PB50 mini pc and decided to download that in addition to other Windows updates. Right when I was thinking twice about that 'motherboard update', specifically the fact that I paired it with other windows updates, the necessary restart started and then no video signal was present. I restarted the computer only to encounter a beep code (1 long, 2 short) that repeated until the unit was powered off.

So far I have tried clearing cmos with the screw driver method (did not have a jumper to use) and tried removing the cmos battery for a spell then plugging it back in. Beep code still persisted. Tried removing sticks of ram, putting them in different dimms, changing up how many dimms I actually filled up... no dice.

Yesterday had fun talks with phone and chat based support for ASUS, with the former instantly offloading me to the latter because my unit is out of warranty (understandable I guess). While spending time in the chat support I kept revolving around one question, which was "can you please tell me what this code hints at?" I kept getting the run around; they said that techs were the only ones privy to that info and that I'd have to pay this or that to have the unit diagnosed and fixed. Eventually I gave them the Bill Burr "this is unacceptable" line as I simply wanted to know what the beep code suggested, and I was quickly told my case would be thrown up to tech support. I am suppose to get an email or call today regarding the issue, but I figured I'd also try my luck somewhere else.

I am a dummy for not realizing a motherboard firmware update was a bios update, and I should have isolated it from other updates (and downloaded it from the proper source). However, I find it fudged up that such an update is pushed thru windows update (presumably offered by asus themselves?) when it has the potential to brick a computer. Also, it sucks something like figuring out what a beep code suggests is such a chore, specifically when it comes to interfacing with a support team. Is it a liability issue?

Either way, hello everyone! Tell me what's up, including where I was a straight up dumbass. I look forward to trying your suggestions, and posting more. Cya!

Solution
30 secs to 1 minute should suffice. However, you need to do the following as well.

Power system down.
Remove all power sources (power cable, display, powered speakers, etc).
With all power sources removed, press the power button. This discharges any residual power stored in system components.
Now remove the motherboard battery and wait.
Your BIOS is now in the default state.
Reconnect everything and try powering on.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hey, all! I am new here as you can probably see. I looked for a new members thread, but couldn't find one. I'll gladly post there if one of you can post a link. Also; if this is the wrong place for this just let me know.

Anyway. Recently I updated a friend's Windows to make sure he was on the up and up. Like a dummy I saw a 'motherboard update' for his ASUS PB50 mini pc and decided to download that in addition to other Windows updates. Right when I was thinking twice about that 'motherboard update', specifically the fact that I paired it with other windows updates, the necessary restart started and then no video signal was present. I restarted the computer only to encounter a beep code (1 long, 2 short) that repeated until the unit was powered off.

So far I have tried clearing cmos with the screw driver method (did not have a jumper to use) and tried removing the cmos battery for a spell then plugging it back in. Beep code still persisted. Tried removing sticks of ram, putting them in different dimms, changing up how many dimms I actually filled up... no dice.

Yesterday had fun talks with phone and chat based support for ASUS, with the former instantly offloading me to the latter because my unit is out of warranty (understandable I guess). While spending time in the chat support I kept revolving around one question, which was "can you please tell me what this code hints at?" I kept getting the run around; they said that techs were the only ones privy to that info and that I'd have to pay this or that to have the unit diagnosed and fixed. Eventually I gave them the Bill Burr "this is unacceptable" line as I simply wanted to know what the beep code suggested, and I was quickly told my case would be thrown up to tech support. I am suppose to get an email or call today regarding the issue, but I figured I'd also try my luck somewhere else.

I am a dummy for not realizing a motherboard firmware update was a bios update, and I should have isolated it from other updates (and downloaded it from the proper source). However, I find it fudged up that such an update is pushed thru windows update (presumably offered by asus themselves?) when it has the potential to brick a computer. Also, it sucks something like figuring out what a beep code suggests is such a chore, specifically when it comes to interfacing with a support team. Is it a liability issue?

Either way, hello everyone! Tell me what's up, including where I was a straight up dumbass. I look forward to trying your suggestions, and posting more. Cya!
It's probably bricked because of the BIOS update.

Last edited by a moderator:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
30 secs to 1 minute should suffice. However, you need to do the following as well.

Power system down.
Remove all power sources (power cable, display, powered speakers, etc).
With all power sources removed, press the power button. This discharges any residual power stored in system components.
Now remove the motherboard battery and wait.
Your BIOS is now in the default state.
Reconnect everything and try powering on.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS