Question Asus Mobo doesn't post with GPU

Ryder252

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
Hello!
I have an Asus P5Q-EM DO that will not post with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 285, and with no beep code. I'm using a Thermaltake Smart 80+ Gold 600w psu, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3 Ghz cooled by a Deepcool GAMMAXX 400, and Crucial 4x2GB DDR2-800. I tried it with a different psu with the same results, I successfully tried the card in a different system, and I also successfully posted with the onboard graphics. Frankly, I'm at my wit's end.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ryder252

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
you are getting error(s) and cannot get through a successful POST?

or you're just getting a black screen with "No Signal" message from the display?

these are two completely different things.

if you just have a blank/black screen then you have no idea if it's getting past the POST screen or not.

When powered on, the fans are lit and begin spinning - the pwm cpu fan revs up to max speed and never slows down. No error code is thrown(speaker or light sequence), and while the screen receives signal from the dvi connection (which it does even with the power off), the screen remains black. I hope that narrows it down.

Ryder252

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
There's the possibility that the x16 slot has failed, either internal pin isn't making connection, solder joint broke etc. You'd have to try a different gpu in the port to test that.
I'm afraid I already did. A Radeon HD 5450 was run in this pc for a while with no issues. I apologize for not mentioning that.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's odd.
Card tested as working in another pc
Pc tested as working with another card
There's no bios conflict, it's all Legacy equipment
Should post, regardless of monitor hookup with at least vga, if no drivers are installed.

Were nvidia drivers ever installed?

If you can run the system with HD5450, I think the MB may not have the right BIOS for the Nvidia GeForce GTX 285. You need to update the BIOS, if the BIOS is not the newer version. But keep in mind, if you don't do the right during the BIOS update, you may kill your MB.

Ryder252

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
That's odd.
Card tested as working in another pc
Pc tested as working with another card
There's no bios conflict, it's all Legacy equipment
Should post, regardless of monitor hookup with at least vga, if no drivers are installed.

Were nvidia drivers ever installed?

No Nvidia drivers, I uninstalled the AMD drivers(although I installed the Intel onboard right after). Should I try posting without any drivers? Or should I uninstall Intel and install Nvidia without the gpu?

Ryder252

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
If you can run the system with HD5450, I think the MB may not have the right BIOS for the Nvidia GeForce GTX 285. You need to update the BIOS, if the BIOS is not the newer version. But keep in mind, if you don't do the right during the BIOS update, you may kill your MB.

After checking, my BIOS version is 1301, released 3/25/13. This is a beta version according to Asus support, though it says it only fixes a boot problem with a raid card plugged in. The page also lists 1301 as released March 28th instead of 25th, though this might be a typo.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Never Uninstall integrated gpu drivers, ever. Install/uninstall amd or nvidia gpu drivers as needed, but leave the Intel alone.

The gtx285 was released in 2009. The Asus p5 was released in 2008. So there is a slim possibility if still on original bios that the bios itself doesn't recognize what's in the slot as a gpu, but is helpless since the slot is populated. And you get no post.

Ryder252

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
Never Uninstall integrated gpu drivers, ever. Install/uninstall amd or nvidia gpu drivers as needed, but leave the Intel alone.

The gtx285 was released in 2009. The Asus p5 was released in 2008. So there is a slim possibility if still on original bios that the bios itself doesn't recognize what's in the slot as a gpu, but is helpless since the slot is populated. And you get no post.

Hmm. My bios, while updated to the latest version, is the original Asus bios(if that's what you mean). I don't imagine I can safely flash another bios to the board, so I might be up the creek on this one. Is there anything else I can try? Or is it just unfixable incompatibility?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No, no. That's no whats meant. You only ever flash bios specific to the board. What's meant is the board is manufactured and given its original bios. Board manufactured in 2008 will have an earlier version of bios than boards manufactured in 2010. So a 2010 board has an updated bios by default that includes many bug fixes, updated ram tables, additional cpus/gpu recognitions etc.

If you've already updated the bios to the last known, the gtx285 should be recognised as any info on it will be included with bios updates starting after the card was released.

I can't think of any reason the card would refuse post, in your particular pc. Other cards work, it works in other pc's, there's no obvious conflicts, errors, defects. By all rights, that card should post just fine, not lock it up.

Have you tried booting without drives present?

Ryder252

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
No, no. That's no whats meant. You only ever flash bios specific to the board. What's meant is the board is manufactured and given its original bios. Board manufactured in 2008 will have an earlier version of bios than boards manufactured in 2010. So a 2010 board has an updated bios by default that includes many bug fixes, updated ram tables, additional cpus/gpu recognitions etc.

If you've already updated the bios to the last known, the gtx285 should be recognised as any info on it will be included with bios updates starting after the card was released.

I can't think of any reason the card would refuse post, in your particular pc. Other cards work, it works in other pc's, there's no obvious conflicts, errors, defects. By all rights, that card should post just fine, not lock it up.

Have you tried booting without drives present?

I believe I did, but I'm not sure. I'll try it later today and report back.

Ryder252

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
Hey, sorry it took me so long(greatly appreciate your help btw). Just now tried booting without drives present and still nothing unfortunately. Could it possibly be because I'm running a beta bios? The next newest is stable and still newer than the GTX 285.

Ryder252

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
i would definitely keep up with the latest version.
many times performance increases and other fixes are included with each new iteration.

Yeah, I flashed this bios a little while back as it's the latest version listed on the Asus support page. It was released in 2013(this board's really old), but it was never anymore than beta. Up to this point, though, it's worked good, so Idek what's going on.