Asus mobo questions??

massa902

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
when i built my PC I went with a budget board (Asus p8z77 v lx) $140. To go with my i5 3570k I now realize i should have gotten a better board. It is still a good board and can overclock but the second PCI-e slot is only in x4 mode at 2.0, my math is not good but that would be like one fourth or one eighth the bandwidth of the first PCI-e 3.0. my question is really a choice from getiing a better z77 board like the maximus series boards and then maybe put an i7 3770k in there or should I wait it out entirely and go with the new chipset(z87) for a CPU upgrade down the road in wich case i don't really see the upsides in using Haswell over ivy.......what is the best route to take??

Solution
Yes the 4930X, 4960X etc for the 2011/X79 mobos, there's also a couple new 2011 models out, Asus just released the X79 Deluxe that supports even higher DRAM as an example, have been looking at that one myself

massa902

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
well I am looking for more performance since i will be getting into editing/rendering i want to upgrade to an i7. I aslo game quite a bit now and the system I have now is able to run anything on a single GPU but the MB I own just does not have enough bandwidth in the second PCI-e slot to even bother putting in a second GPU. so I would like to have those upgrades....

massa902

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Are you talking about the Ivy bridge-e cpu's? I know there are socket 2011 but I would hope the 4930k or 4960x would be compatible with the Mobo's that are already out. I read somewhere that there would not be a bios update available for the existing x79 mobo's and I really have not been paying too much attetion for those being out of my price range but something does not add up or maybe i just need to look into it.

though that would be an awesome rig with what ivy bridge brings to the x79 chipset...