Question Asus mobo shows cpu light then pc quickly turns off during boot. Doesn't make it to bios.

Jul 11, 2021
My brother just bought a used pc that was working when it was last used, but now fails to post or make it to bios at all.
If the power button is pressed it cycles through all the debug LEDs until hitting the CPU led after which the system instantly turns off.
In this case the manual states that if a light stays lit then that means there is a hardware issue, but this isn't even the case, the launch is not cycling. It is simply turning completely off after the CPU light comes on.
The DRAM light does come on for a bit longer but not as long as I've seen when researching this, where in other cases the light comes on for the entire post process. I've already tried reseating the ram, and even other ram sticks to no avail.

This led me to believe the CPU was the issue but it was working recently and so I cant imagine the pins are going to be bent since the CPU hasn't been touched since install.
My other guess would be the PSU but that doesn't seem likely just because it has been working fine prior to this.
And I don't really have access to another CPU/PSU to even try exchanging parts.

I'd love any insight into troubleshooting a problem like this, in my experience something like this has been as simple as unplugging/reseating parts until finding the culprit.
But this seems to be a special case and tech support hasn't been the most helpful in solving this issue.

Parts:
MOBO Asus m5a99fx pro r2.0
RAM Patriot Viper DDR3 16x2
CPU Don't know (Don't want to remove water cooler because I've never done it before and can't check in windows or bios)
GPU EVGA 1050 TI SC
STORAGE WD Green 1TB
PSU Thermaltake TR2-430

Mar 4, 2021
I think I agree with this, now that I'm thinking about it ddr3 is very old nowadays so that might say something about this power supply.
Ill hit back with results.

Well has anything happened? Ask him if he can find the listing, it should have the parts list to it if the seller is not hiding anything.