Question ASUS MOBO won't boot into BIOS, locks & won't power down

kenschu

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
I have an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 MB with AMD FX 6300 running Windows 7. The power supply, RAM, video card and heat sink were all replaced within this timeframe also. I actually built this about 2 years ago but could never get it to boot properly with any consistency. It has been left untouched until a couple of nights ago when my daughter wanted to use it. So I gave it another try.

Initially it powered on, gave the post beep and booted into Windows. However, the onboard audio didn't work (same as 2 years ago). I checked settings in Device Manager and everything looked good. Also, I was able to go into BIOS and check settings. While I was in BIOS I only changed to setting from Balanced to High Performance. I left for work and left it powered on. When I got home that night it was locked up tight. When I moved the mouse it sounded like it responded but screen remained black. Above the power button on my case there was a flashing green light.

I tried to power off by holding down on the power button but it wouldn't power off. I had to turn off the power switch on the PSU for it to turn off. Then pressing the power button wouldn't do anything. I unplugged the power cord and left it for an hour. It then booted to Windows.

I saw this post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/win-7-pc-wont-wake-from-longer-sleep.1309661/?view=date

I began to follow the recommendations by soundguruman and changed all the settings to never sleep. I rebooted and tried to go into BIOS to check the setting there that were suggested by this post - it won't go into BIOS. A couple of times it went to the screen that states Windows was shutdown improperly and gives choices of Repair Windows, Start Normally, etc. I choose start normally and tried again. It wouldn't go into BIOS again despite repeatedly pressing Delete. All the fans are running. Also, now the light about the power button on my case was a solid red. I didn't flip the power switch this time and just unplugged the power cord. I waited several minutes and experienced the same thing - black screen, no post beep and all fans running.

I've been seeing a lot of complaints about ASUS mb - they used to be the gold standard year ago. I really don't want to have to buy another MB due to limited budget and it is not out main pc.

Please help.

UPDATE: I went home for lunch and after having the pc unplugged for about 5 hours since this morning I was able to boot into the BIOS. I disabled the power saver mode and enabled all the SATA drives. When I saved exited I tried to boot into the BIOS again but it did not let me but did boot fully into Windows. I started updating the driver for the GeForce GTX 760 GPU and left it powered on. I will check in a few hours to see if it is totally locked again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:

kenschu

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
When you get to the screen that states Windows was shutdown improperly and gives the option to Repair Windows, have you tried that option?
Not yet. I didn't want to have Windows reinstall just yet and lose all that is on the hard drive. I'm suspecting that it may be something else besides Windows since sometimes it boots just fine - both into BIOS and into Windows.

Not yet. I didn't want to have Windows reinstall just yet and lose all that is on the hard drive. I'm suspecting that it may be something else besides Windows since sometimes it boots just fine - both into BIOS and into Windows.
The option to "Repair Windows" is not going to reinstall Windows, it will just check and repair any important system files Windows needs to run properly. Your Windows installation has no option to erase itself.

kenschu

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
UPDATE; So I haven't done the Repair Windows thing yet because the pc hasn't presented that screen again on reboot. I set everything I could find to never sleep as suggested in the thread I referenced above. I left it on for the entire time I was at work the other day and it was still booted up to Windows when I can back and checked. I shutdown overnight and booted back up fine the next day and left it on - again it hadn't locked up.

So last night I installed a Sound Blaster audio card PCIe x 1, installed the software from the included CD and rebooted. I tested the audio card by play some music videos and it was good to go. I put the side of the case back on, and then shifted the case slightly to try to untangle & arrange the cords behind it a little better. Suddenly the music stopped, the screen went blank and it was again locked up and I couldn't even power it down with the power button. To say I'm frustrated is an understatement.

Does it now have something to do with the sound card? Is it the power cord that got wiggled when I was trying to arrange the cords. I am at a complete loss.

kenschu

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
The following thread is from another post I made in the Systems section that didn't get much response. Please help if you can! Thanks.

I have an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 MB with AMD FX 6300 running Windows 7. The power supply, RAM, video card and heat sink were all replaced within this timeframe also. I actually built this about 2 years ago but could never get it to boot properly with any consistency. It has been left untouched until a couple of nights ago when my daughter wanted to use it. So I gave it another try.

Initially it powered on, gave the post beep and booted into Windows. However, the onboard audio didn't work (same as 2 years ago). I checked settings in Device Manager and everything looked good. Also, I was able to go into BIOS and check settings. While I was in BIOS I only changed to setting from Balanced to High Performance. I left for work and left it powered on. When I got home that night it was locked up tight. When I moved the mouse it sounded like it responded but screen remained black. Above the power button on my case there was a flashing green light.

I tried to power off by holding down on the power button but it wouldn't power off. I had to turn off the power switch on the PSU for it to turn off. Then pressing the power button wouldn't do anything. I unplugged the power cord and left it for an hour. It then booted to Windows.

I saw this post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/win-7-pc-wont-wake-from-longer-sleep.1309661/?view=date

I began to follow the recommendations by soundguruman and changed all the settings to never sleep. I rebooted and tried to go into BIOS to check the setting there that were suggested by this post - it won't go into BIOS. A couple of times it went to the screen that states Windows was shutdown improperly and gives choices of Repair Windows, Start Normally, etc. I choose start normally and tried again. It wouldn't go into BIOS again despite repeatedly pressing Delete. All the fans are running. Also, now the light about the power button on my case was a solid red. I didn't flip the power switch this time and just unplugged the power cord. I waited several minutes and experienced the same thing - black screen, no post beep and all fans running.

I've been seeing a lot of complaints about ASUS mb - they used to be the gold standard year ago. I really don't want to have to buy another MB due to limited budget and it is not out main pc.

Please help.

UPDATE: I went home for lunch and after having the pc unplugged for about 5 hours since this morning I was able to boot into the BIOS. I disabled the power saver mode and enabled all the SATA drives. When I saved exited I tried to boot into the BIOS again but it did not let me but did boot fully into Windows. I started updating the driver for the GeForce GTX 760 GPU and left it powered on. I will check in a few hours to see if it is totally locked again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

TRENDING THREADS