[SOLVED] Asus Mobo won't recognize SSD boot drive no matter what I try

GenericAsianGuy

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
Intro: I just built a new pc and I am absolutely stumped on this one. I've been working for hours and hours and I can't figure out how to fix this.

Relevant specs:

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (Wifi) BIOS Ver 1407

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x 12-core processor

32768 MB DDR4 2133 MHz

Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1 tb (1 month old)

Nvidia RTX 2080ti

Problem: When I try to install windows in UEFI, BIOS doesn't recognize the SSD as a bootable device. I believe after I run the installation media, the drive should appear as bootable with "Windows Boot Manager" in front of it but the list of bootable devices remains empty.

Currently secure boot, fast boot and csm are off. OS Type is Windows UEFI mode. Bios is most recent version. The computer recognizes the SSD but it won't appear as bootable unless I turn on csm to legacy. Windows install media runs on uefi, I install it to a clean, unallocated ssd, when it reaches the restart screen I unplug the usb, the computer restarts and the ssd is not in the list of bootable devices.

Things I've tried:

Legacy boot/CSM - windows won't let me install to the drive because it won't be bootable in bios.

Disable secure boot

Disable fast boot

Reset CMOS

Change sata ports

Restore default BIOS settings

Update BIOS

Plug in old SSD with windows - BIOS allows me to boot to it but windows does not work properly.

Cleaned drive

Converted drive to gpt

reformatted drive to ntfs

Added EFI partition

Made new installation media (straight to usb and iso).

Left the computer off for 20 minutes.

I've tried so many things I probably forgot a couple of them. I figure it is a drive problem because the BIOS can boot to my old ssd in uefi. Please someone help me, I cannot for the life of me figure this out.

Deep thanks to anyone who helps me.

Solution
Intro: I just built a new pc and I am absolutely stumped on this one. I've been working for hours and hours and I can't figure out how to fix this.

Relevant specs:

32768 MB DDR4 2133 MHz

Nvidia RTX 2080ti

Problem: When I try to install windows in UEFI, BIOS doesn't recognize the SSD as a bootable device. I believe after I run the installation media, the drive should appear as bootable with "Windows Boot Manager" in front of it but the list of bootable devices remains empty.

Currently secure boot, fast boot and csm are off. OS Type is Windows UEFI mode. Bios is most recent version. The computer recognizes...

Relevant specs:

32768 MB DDR4 2133 MHz

Nvidia RTX 2080ti

Currently secure boot, fast boot and csm are off. OS Type is Windows UEFI mode. Bios is most recent version. The computer recognizes the SSD but it won't appear as bootable unless I turn on csm to legacy. Windows install media runs on uefi, I install it to a clean, unallocated ssd, when it reaches the restart screen I unplug the usb, the computer restarts and the ssd is not in the list of bootable devices.

Things I've tried:

Legacy boot/CSM - windows won't let me install to the drive because it won't be bootable in bios.

Disable secure boot

Disable fast boot

Reset CMOS

Change sata ports

Restore default BIOS settings

Update BIOS

Plug in old SSD with windows - BIOS allows me to boot to it but windows does not work properly.

Cleaned drive

Converted drive to gpt

reformatted drive to ntfs

Added EFI partition

Made new installation media (straight to usb and iso).

Left the computer off for 20 minutes.

I've tried so many things I probably forgot a couple of them. I figure it is a drive problem because the BIOS can boot to my old ssd in uefi. Please someone help me, I cannot for the life of me figure this out.

Deep thanks to anyone who helps me.
How did you get windows installation disk/USB ? This is most reliable way: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Syste...indows-Installation-Media-Creation-Tool.shtml
As for SSD preparation, delete everything from it and let it stay in RAW mode (no defined partitions and no formatting), keep only that SSD connected. After first reboot when windows finishes writing, remove USB and make sure it's set as first boot device.
CSM off to make sure it installs in UEFI mode.

Solution