Question ASUS Monitor Not Displaying DisplayPort

Feb 17, 2022
Hi all,
DisplayPort has stopped working, and it's been driving me bonkers for a year and a half now.
It worked perfectly for 3 years before then.

I assume the problem is not hardware, as when I boot the computer connected with DP only to my monitor (ASUS PG279Q, 144p 165Hz monitor with Gsync), I can see and navigate the BIOS screen. I can open up into safe mode.

As soon as I go into windows normal mode, all I see is "Display Port No Signal."

I can plug HDMI in and it works perfectly fine. I can use the displayport cable on a different monitor (an old samsung, 60Hz) and it works. But I need my ASUS monitor to work. And the ASUS monitor does work in bios, and safe mode, and normal mode with display drivers uninstalled.

I have tried both DP ports on my 1070 card, both work on BIOS/safe mode. I have tried a new DP cord. Unfortunately the monitor only has the one displayport input.

I have tried the power cycling tip that seems to be the only solution at all on the internet, unplugging absolutely everything - monitor, PC, waiting an hour, nothing works.

I have updated drivers for my monitor, for the 1070, for Windows, for CPU. I'm going crazy the amount of updates I've done. Every time is the same - I use DDU to uninstall drivers in safe mode, I reboot the PC in Normal Mode - and Displayport works. For about 3 minutes, when I assume Windows automatically downloads a driver in the background. So I disabled Internet, and normal mode works without a dispaly driver for as long as I want, but the instant I install an Nvidia Driver (whic is required to use my 1070 at high frame rates over displayport), it cuts to black with "DP No Signal".

I've talked on the Nvidia forums, where they suggested using DDU and installing older drivers, it doesn't work. I've done all the power cycling (believe me, its been a year and a half).

Does anyone have any solutions or ideas for what I can try? I've seen this issue multiple times over the internet, and people then get the "solution" of power cycling, which doesn't work for me.

The only other detail I think may be relevant is that the issue started after I started plugging my PC into my OLED tv. Im wondering if the multiple displays somehow resulted in some changed settings that makes Displayport not work in windows with the drivers. But if this caused issues, you would assume that resetting the drivers with a clean installation should reset all of that.

Please help I am going mad!!!

Feb 17, 2022
My PC Details:

Operating System
Windows 10 Education 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i5 7600 @ 3.50GHz 50 °C
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology

RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1199MHz (16-18-18-38)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME H270-PLUS (LGA1151) 118 °C I've read that its a common mistake the motherboard is incorrectly said to be this hot in Speccy - its not that hot in BIOS

Graphics
ROG PG279Q (2560x1440@59Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 29 °C

Storage
465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SATA (SSD)) 34 °C
931GB Samsung SSD 980 1TB (Unknown (SSD))

Power:
Gold TX550M (when I built it was supposedly "overkill", but now I worry if this may be a power consumption issue? would be a stretch given how everything works until the drivers are installed)

At first plug something else in monitor DisplayPort input - another computer, picture from your computer via HDMI to DisplayPort adapter (but different cable, not one which you usually use) to rule out damaged DisplayPort socket in monitor. If DisplayPort socket is damaged, bring monitor to service.

Feb 17, 2022
At first plug something else in monitor DisplayPort input - another computer, picture from your computer via HDMI to DisplayPort adapter (but different cable, not one which you usually use) to rule out damaged DisplayPort socket in monitor. If DisplayPort socket is damaged, bring monitor to service.

I get picture to the monitor DisplayPort Input already - with only DisplayPort Cable from my PC to monitor, I can view the BIOS screen, and boot up in Safe Mode. But I will try hunt down something else if that is not good enough to assume the DisplayPort Socket is not damaged...

thbritto

Reputable
Aug 24, 2017
In your case, low display modes (resolution or refresh rate) work and high display modes do not.

Low display modes are BIOS screen, safe mode, 60Hz etc.

High display modes are 165Hz etc.

I guess the GPU is okay, if GPU is broken, Windows goes blue screen dead when displaying at high resolution / refresh rate mode; and I guess the displayport cable is bad.

Try this displayport cable, it works for me:

Reactions: Krotow

Latest posts